Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can Yorkshire water obstruct paths ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

I was out last night, one of the trails I ride (ok I admit its a cheeky one) has had logs laid along its lenght, maybe 10 or 12 points to stop people riding the track.

I guess as its private property, that they grant public access to, they can do what they want…. are they not on a little shacky ground though if a walker fell over one of these deliberate obstructions and injured themselves ? Once you grant public access, do they not have an obligation to make it safe ?

Its here.. ]Trail

simonm
    Free Member

Actually, If its got a green sign “Public Footpath” which it has, does that make the case differnt ?

Sign

uplink
    Free Member

You could say stiles are deliberate obstructions then?

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve been looking up that way for trails myself but couldn’t really find anything.

anyway, I think if its ok for walkers then its probably in a bit of a grey area as what defines “obstruct”.

and it doesn’t matter who’s land it is.

simonm
    Free Member

Sending cheeky email to them, see what they say !

simonm
    Free Member

Podge, YGM

cp

FFS, it’s the countryside, so what if there are logs/trees/mud/fallen branches/rocks on the ground, even if put there deliberately.

MrSparkle

Can Yorkshire water obstruct paths ?

Yes, it probably can because it’s really thick. Lancashire Water, however, is beautifully clear and sparkling. HTH. ;0)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Its not on the OS map, but you’d need to check the definitive map for right of way.
    If they own the land, they can do what they want, but they can’t obstruct a right of way. BUT, if its only a footpath, logs don’t get in the way, do they? and inf act, landowners aren’t legally obliged to make bridleways cycle-friendly, only horse-friendly, and they can walk over them.

are they not on a little shacky ground though if a walker fell over one of these deliberate obstructions and injured themselves

Litigious (sp?) society? Pah! <spits>

thepodge
    Free Member

Why do people have to come on treads and be angry?

Cheers for the email Simon.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

who’s angry? I’m just explaining ROW and answering the OP. Yes, they can.

thepodge
    Free Member

sorry, not you. Was in reaction to CP’s post

schnor
    Free Member

Too late to join the party? 😛 Sounds like they’re not happy with people riding on a permissive footpath so put some logs down.

I’m on an ancient EEE at the mo so can’t see the googlemap signpost sorry, but generally you can only get obstructions on paths where you’re allowed to be. Stiles and gates are usually ‘lawful obstructions’ if used for stock-proofing and if built correctly.

p.s. linky if anyone missed the articles the first time round 🙂

thejesmonddingo

The access to Damflask is permissive,and cycle access is explicitly banned,although this is widely ignored.The main source of income isfrom fishing the reservoir,it has some big pike,and I suspect Yorkshire Water allow pedestrians to big up their PC credentials.

simonm
    Free Member

the logs are fun any how great manualing practice cheers Yorkshire water for adding variety to my ride..

Impressed with the holier than thou masses on here who NEVER ride on FP’s 😉

Obviously there miffed that people are riding bikes on the path… funny how they think its so legit though to lay down obstacles to cause injury and are justified in doing so….

Pook

i reckon it’s worth riding. Work a line on to it and the logs become a feature

woop woop

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can Yorkshire water obstruct paths ?’ is closed to new replies.