Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Can Wheelie can't manual.
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Can’t get the front wheel up high enough without a little help from a pedal –

Why is this?

jedi

push away with feet and hands

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

cos yur shit innit

joolsburger
    Free Member

I really must book that lesson..I don’t really know what that means despite understanding all those words..

Yes I’m shit, that must be it.

jedi

don’t worry about that just go out and try!

RudiBoy
    Free Member

DTF – 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yeah I expect you’re a riding god DTF why not post up a vid of your skills? That way we can all benefit from your excellence, I know Jedi is good, whereas you, most likely, aren’t.

grumm
    Free Member

Unfortunately I think he is pretty good – seem to remember a pic of him ‘laying it flat’ pretty high in the air. He does seem to be a fairly bitter man for some reason though.

alpin
    Free Member

i think it was meant tongue in cheek…. he’s just poking you. you have taken it a little too personally, i think.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m sorry, I’m not a great rider but I was just taking the mick.

Best place to learn them is on the streetz, not in front of your pc

joolsburger
    Free Member

Was out for two hours in a car park today trying to crack it, am right pissed off, ignore me. Can do them enough for general trail purposes like steps and drops but just want to get it up to the balance point without a kick on the pedals and just can’t get my head around pushing not pulling.. been treating it like a take off from a jump that sort of springy thing but can’t get it right.

jedi

from a relaxed position over the bottom bracket, crouch slightly and then push away. keep your head up

joolsburger
    Free Member

Thanks will keep at it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

what bike is it? I could manual my bmx or jump bike for ages but if I try them on my road bike or my brothers specialized with a long stem and long stays then I struggle.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It’s a Joker. its deffo me, not the bike. i’m pulling up which is totally wrong.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Probably lean further back than you think you need too.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Find your comfortable balance point in a wheelie, then manual out of it.
    From there, you should be able to find the balance point to manual easier.
    IME the balance point is higher than you might think. You’ve just gotta trust your feel for it.
    Once you get it, you never forget. It’s just like riding a bike. 😉

HermanShake
    Free Member

Can’t do either, feel like a **** practising and mainly ride trails so rarely need to anyhow. Or do I? Is there some kind of embarrassed men’s one wheel club?

Oh, and I have eggbeaters which is not helping me want to try!

rudedog
    Free Member

As you push back, don’t let the front wheel come up until your arms are almost straight and then extend your legs with your heels down, this pushes the rear wheel under you which helps to unweight the front.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I could get my son to teach you?…

What does DTF mean?

BenjiM

Herman Shake – Member

Can’t do either, feel like a **** practising and mainly ride trails so rarely need to anyhow. Or do I? Is there some kind of embarrassed men’s one wheel club?

Oh, and I have eggbeaters which is not helping me want to try!

Handy for getting through puddles and divots! 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Go down the park and practice on the grass so if you come off it doesn’t hurt 🙂

The push makes total sense to me – it helps to rotate your CofG round the rear axle which in turn raises the front wheel without having to pull on the bars – it becomes one movement rather than two or more.

Problem with lifting is you have a dominant arm which means 7 of 10 times you’ll lift unevenly – and trust me that ain’t good at speed out on the trail!!! 😯

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Go down the park and practice on the grass so if you come off it doesn’t hurt

Beat me to it. You don’t want to have in your subconcious that you will hurt yourself if you over commit

burmaboy
    Free Member

This is how i do it.

medium to fast pace, stand up and crouch (compressing the forks helps) a bit with your weight slightly forward. Then in a burst of super human energy snap your weight back so your arms lock and push your feet/ legs forward. Feather the rear brake so you dont go over. Best get your saddle slammed to practice. Try getting your bum to nearly buzz the rear tyre .

Doing it down a slight hill helps with momentum to.

hope that helps

burmaboy
    Free Member

ok so this is kinda a mix of sit down wheelie/sit down manual ( even harder then regular manual until your super confident) . Check what he does at the end! Awesome

burmaboy
    Free Member

ive got to go practice this now!! Insane!

MrNutt
    Free Member

you need a heavier rucksack.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Thanks all. it’s off to the car park tonight until I get this sorted. 20 years of habit to overcome..

robdob
    Free Member

There are easier ways to get into a manual:

bigjim

perhaps start trying going uphill, the bike is already pointing upwards so you ahve lesse work to do to reach the balance point. first of all just try to go right over over backwards, you can jump off so you’ll be ok. you’ll eventually find where the balance point is, and then you can start working at it on flat ground.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll stick my flats on and find some grass. I think once I know how to jump out of it (like skateboarding) it’ll be far easier to commit.

bigjim

Yeah you’ll be more confident on flats. Whilst you are at it learn to bunnyhop without being clipped in too, and endo. I think wheelies, manuals, bunny hops and endos are kind of basic core trail skills, but I’m always amazed how few people can do any of them, I think everyone just blarts into obstacles on their full sussers these days!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Do you have a local BMX track? It’s a good place to practice….

2-sevens-clash
    Free Member

burmaboy i misread your post, and spent 30 seconds thinking about what sort of manual this would assist with…

“This is how i do it.

medium to fast pace, stand up and cough a bit with your weight slightly forward.”

burmaboy
    Free Member

😆

Good lord!

lardman
    Free Member

Get some flats on…

ride bike in a straight line, with saddle low as it will go (or indeed find a vey shrt post). Do all this Very slowly.

Making sure your rear brake is shit-hot… throw all your weight back as far as you can whilst pulling hard back on the bars.

The aim IS to get the bike to flip out from under you.

when the bike flips out (back wheel goes under, front wheel comes over the top) jump off the back and land flat on both feet.

Do this repeatedly until you can manage to catch the bike with the back brake BEFORE it flips out.

This way you’ll find where the balance point is, much quicker than working up to it. It’s much further back than you think.

When you are comfortable with this technique, you’ll be able to hold the bike vertical, and stationary for a very short time.

If you then transfer this to a slight downhill slope, and let go of the brake once the bike has tried to escape from under you….. it will want to roll forward, and you can then pull back again, and the technique becomes a game of feathering, and pulling back, whilst the slope give you momentum.

All of this worked forme. But then i am a bit of an animal.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Can Wheelie can't manual.’ is closed to new replies.