Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Can we have an RIP thread without the BS please?
  • brakes
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s that at all Stoner, people say what they think should be said and what is generally seen as a suitable thing to say

Stoner
    Free Member

people say what they think should be said and what is generally seen as a suitable thing to say

what on earth for other than purely selfish reasons?
    Sincerity requires honesty not trotting cliches out in the right order.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Stoner – I hope you’re not trolling as you’re speaking a lot of truth.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stoner – point made ease off eh?

YOu are right tho – I loathe the grief athletes – people do it without thinking tho – it has become the accepted thing to do

Kit
    Free Member

I was going to respond to some of the stuff directly personally to me on here, but those people would in all likelihood not give a shit as they’re far too self-absorbed in their own egos to consider that some people view the world and act differently to how they do. I’ll keep the attention seeking, mawkish, navel gazing **** to myself from now on.

Stoner
    Free Member

not trolling.

anyway, got to go and write a sincere letter to a friend. Picking the right words will take a while.

Northwind

See, I wouldn’t post platitudes or cliches in one of those threads but I also wouldn’t post jokes, tasteless comments, etc. If you can’t say something nice say nothing IMO.

Edukator
    Free Member

Well the original RIP thread (that I din’t feel the need to contribute to) sparked the “choices” thread which I’m following with interest and this one; an atttempt at censorship through peer presuure that I’m resisting.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Kit – I give a shit… would you like a hug to help you through these tough emotionally draining times?

iDave
    Free Member

TSY – I don’t give a shit, do I still get a hug?

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you can’t say something nice say nothing IMO.

This

monksie
    Free Member

Jeremy. It’s “though”. Sorry. Carry on

MSP

If you can’t say something nice say nothing IMO.

Are you still tied to your mothers apron strings? Thats just another tired cliché, usually spoken by mothers too stupid to deal with awkward issues raised by their kids.

Northwind

MSP – Member

Are you still tied to your mothers apron strings? Thats just another tired cliché, usually spoken by mothers too stupid to deal with awkward issues raised by their kids.

Nah. It’s a way of dealing with other people without being a c***. Try it. Most subjects are fine for having a kickabout, but some, not so much. Some people are public grief junkies, others are heartless, thoughtless, tactless idiots. Trick is to be somewhere inbetween.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yep, Dave you’re always welcome to a hug. Especially after going for a swim, a bike and a run today.

druidh
    Free Member

Difficult one this. To am extent, I agree with Stoner. Perhaps I’ve felt that way since the death of “The Nations Princess”. However, and strange as it may seem, I did garner a measure of helpful compassion when I related the death of my parents here on STW – even though most of the comments were from people I have never met.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

STW is plumbing new depths over this issue.

Kevevs
    Free Member

All the pish taking and crap jokes about Winehouse I’ve heard/seen today does make me think- well, what if it was someone close to you? how would you really feel? I don’t find it hard to find some empathy or compassion for someone I don’t know who may have problems. I’m constantly surprised that people can not.

mogrim

Just for the OP, and pretty much sums up my thoughts about RIP threads in general:

http://www.emptyplatitudes.com/

Woody
    Free Member

I don’t find it hard to find some empathy or compassion for someone I don’t know who may have problems. I’m constantly surprised that people can not.

Indeed.

Stoner
    Free Member

to have empathy or compassion is not that difficult unless you’re a psychopath, obviously. Empathy and compassion doesnt need an audience.

The need to prance around being ostensibly “empathetic” on a forum which your empathetic target is never, ever going to read, is just an ego trip and an effort to capture a little reflected light. This is not the same as emotional support for someone we do know like druidh though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Again, it’s just another form of snobbery…terms used are designed to elevate the user to some kind of intellectual plane above those who they would view as “grief tourists”.

Someone said to me at the weekend, “Did you hear about the shootings in Norway?” I replied, “Yes, awful isn’t it, I can’t begin to imagine how they must all feel today” (This could be a made-up conversation, but is perfectly feasible).

Again, naturally, you’d probably prefer we all keep a stiff upper lip about it and pretend it hasn’t even happened, not mention it, for fear that someone may express sympathy for victims, out loud…OUT LOUD FFS!

yunki
    Free Member

this may sound a bit daft to some of the more.. err, stern posters perhaps..

but I’m guessing that when a popular celeb dies, or an islandful of Norwegian kids.. it can briefly touch the heart of some folk, and these threads might just be an opportunity to share a little of that emotion and bond with people that are feeling the same way..

We could grieve all day about each and every futile death but that would take up too much time and our lives would be filled with sorrow.. so why not take these opportunities to share a little manageable grief together..?

I’m sure that anyone who has attended a funeral service will know that taking any positive experience from a death is always heartily encouraged..

Maybe it can be viewed as an exercise in showing off if you choose to look at it cynically enough.. so what..?
    Is it really any better or worse than showing off an ability to build twee gazebo type structures on the side of yer opulent manse..?
    Not really.. 🙂

I think that maybe some forum members are desperately in need of a flippin’ good cuddle and a sob so that they can release some of that overpowering repression..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The need to prance around being ostensibly “empathetic” on a forum which your empathetic target is never, ever going to read, is just an ego trip and an effort to capture a little reflected light.

Have a look at this thread Stoner, I can’t find a single example of anyone prancing around being ostensibly empathetic towards a target who is never ever going to read it.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/amy-winehouse-dead-1

Can you find any examples of people showing excessive grief (or excessive empathy)? Admittedly I only quickly glanced through it, but all I can see are some people expressing sadness at the death of a singer, which in most cases they appreciated.

I think this is another case of people’s predetermined opinions not matching the actual facts.

MSP

Have a look at this thread Stoner, I can’t find a single example of anyone prancing around being ostensibly empathetic towards a target who is never ever going to read it.

this

really sad news. obviously a really troubled soul.

a huge talent that produced the seminal pop album of the noughties.

r.i.p

j_me
    Free Member

RIP East Africa famine victims

😯 yes lots of people have died, many more are dying or will die. BUT YOU CAN STILL HELP!

yunki
    Free Member

MSP.. eh..?

I think you’ve misunderstood the meanings of some words somewhere there mate.. your example isn’t making any sense.. 😕

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If that’s the best you can come up with MSP, I’m not impressed. The reference to a “troubled soul” is perfectly appropriate – few people would deny that was the case. And clearly the poster was a huge fan of her’s. So what – does that signify ‘excessive empathy’ ?

That comment is as valid on a forum, as is informing people what you are eating, drinking, and listening to.

DezB
    Free Member

RIP The no BS thread

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Killed another squirrel this morning… this time in my car.

RIP.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Killed another squirrel this morning… this time in my car.

RIP.

Whoosh (again)

yunki
    Free Member

you do realise that every time you run over a squirrel God kills a kitten..?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

That’s not the sound it made. 😥

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What sound did it make TSY?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

More of a thud. There was probably a bit of a crunch but I was rocking out Classic FM so missed some of the more subtle notes.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And how are you feeling about it now?

LHS
    Free Member

No matter what your oinion of Amy Winehouse, whether you have complete sympathy for a lost talent who lived a tortured life riddled with substance abuse and depresson, or whether you think she was a drugged-up loser whos death was inevitable and only has herself to blame – that truth is that this is an open public forum, and (within the rules of those who own and run this forum) you are entitled to comment what you believe and so are the other hundreds of users interested in this topic.

So posting on a public forum assuming that someone else won’t post an opinion contrary to your own just shows complete ignorance for how internet forums work.

IMPO – I thought her music, style and choice of boyfriend was awful, yet if anyone knows anyone suffering, has known anyone who suffered from or knows anything about substance abuse, the associated depression and other associated disorders would agree with me that she would have been going through the most traumatic, hellish time of her life, as would those who deeply cared or loved her and tried to help her, and for her life to have ended in this way is just terrible for everyone involved.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Pretty shaken up.

I’ve been on a bit of a road kill spree recently, couple of weeks ago I got a cat (RIP) so I’d have thought I’d be becoming desensitized now.

I’m not going to flush any more spiders down the sink to redress my karma imbalance. Do you think that’ll help?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d be becoming desensitized now.

Reads like you already are.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Maybe I’m in shock??

I’ll ask if I can have the rest of the day off.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Can we have an RIP thread without the BS please?’ is closed to new replies.