Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Can we have a "like" button, please?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What a pointless thing to do.

*Shares*

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well clicking a Like button would save a helluva lot of typing a reply with one hand whilst entertaining with the other 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Nah.
    Then you get people quoting entire posts verbatim just to say “Nah”.[/quote]
    We need stacking quotes too
    [/quote]

No we don’t

GrahamS

What a pointless thing to do.

+1

trademark
    Free Member

Is “opting in” to Ghosterys´ anonymous data collection considered safe?

RustySpanner

So, if the pub/forum analogy is correct, what’s the pub equivalent of the ‘like’ button?
    A pat on the back?
    Slap on the bum?
    Glancing over at the trough?

I don’t want it, whatever it is.

We don’t need these fripperies.
    Can’t we just express ourselves like we’ve always done, with simple ignorance, misguided logic and mindless prejudice?

footflaps

Probably, I’ve only been burgled twice, had the car stolen and had all my online accounts cleared out since signing up. And there was the syphilis, but other than that, seems fine.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ll take a wild guess at “thumbs up”

footflaps

Rusty Spanner » So, if the pub/forum analogy is correct, what’s the pub equivalent of the ‘like’ button?

You hug them and tell them that you love them and they’re your best mate, before throwing up on their shoes and then bursting into tears and saying sorry hundreds of times….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“thumbs up”

There’s a legal president for that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You hug them and tell them that you love them and they’re you’re best mate, before throwing up on their shoes and then bursting into tears and saying sorry hundreds of times….

Let me guess…..your local has a flat roof.

RustySpanner

Ohhh, THAT kind of thumbs up…..
    😐

footflaps

Let me guess…..your local has a flat roof.

yep, see you there at 10?

molgrips
    Free Member

Would someone explain what function a like button serves.

The actual answer?

It’s so that Facebook knows what you like, and can sell target advertising to its clients.

However, before you get all tin-hat about that, there are benefits. You’ve got much more chance of seeing an ad for bike stuff or outdoor gear or whatever. People take the piss out of the watch and Maserati ads on here – well on my FB I get almost entirely bike stuff ads. Including the odd interesting special offer or new product.

So it’s not all bad. Just be a little careful in what you click ‘like’ on. So far Facebook only knows (from direct likes) that I like bikes – this isn’t a secret.

However, it does do things based on your friends’ posts that you click like on – I suspect it scans those, sees how often you like a friends post and shows you the things that THEY like too. Not sure if it does text scans on the actual posts you like though.

I’m not averse to it, because I know there is just an algorithm behind it. I still carefully filter what I put on FB. It kept bugging me to tell it what university I went to, so I said University of Leave Me Alone. Then it prompted me to make friends with hundreds of other people who went there 🙂 I also never check into places either.

scotroutes

I think the question is rather – what would be the function of a like button on a forum like this? …..

squirrelking
    Free Member

It easily shows the fact you agree with a post without actually having to go to the length of quoting the entire thing just to say

^This

trademark
    Free Member

Probably, I’ve only been burgled twice, had the car stolen and had all my online accounts cleared out since signing up. And there was the syphilis, but other than that, seems fine.

I’ll take that as a yes then? Cheers.

piemonster

Yey, I can longer see the share button.

Small victories.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Can we have ‘Disappointed’ button as well

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If we are goto have one can we have a few…
    I only came here to say I dislike what you are discussing
    Meh +1 the obvious reply
    Bindun with a report link

wwaswas

Can we have ‘Disappointed’ button as well

Disappointingly, I can see the benefit in forcing people to be disappointed in long hand.

You have to be really disappointed to type a post about something rather than just hitting a thumbs down on everything you mildly dislike.

Disappointing, I know.

redthunder
    Free Member

What about having avatars as well 🙂

Runs away….

Like … like….unlike,.. thumb… share.

footflaps

well on my FB I get almost entirely bike stuff ads. Including the odd interesting special offer or new product.

I’m genuinely surprised a tech savvy person actually sees ads, I don’t know anyone techy who hasn’t blocked them years ago!

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Can we have a "like" button, please?’ is closed to new replies.