Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can this be straightened (trailer jockey wheel content)?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Lent a trailer to my sister and when it came back the jockey wheel was bent as can be seen:

I’ve straightened it a bit already in a vise (the pic is as it is now). Anybody reckon it can be straightened more or should I just get a new one (it’s not my trailer and will need to go back to the owner ina few weeks)?

Pigface
    Free Member

Bit of heat and persuasion should be fine 🙂

Cougar

If it’s been bent and straightened, won’t it have been weakened and could fail?

binners

There is NOTHING that can’t be fixed with one of these. FACT!

STATO
    Free Member

Easilly fixed by the application of your sisters credit card to purchase a new one, i can understand trying to bend it back if it was just yours but hardly fair for her to return it to the owner in a broken/bodged state.

TheBrick
    Free Member

2nded STATO

Look like she drove off without raising the jocky wheel.

TheBrick
    Free Member

http://www.towsure.com/product/48mm_Jockey_Wheel_with_Clamp_2_Ton

£21 + p&p

(it looks like it’s only a light trail from the pic, no brake)

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t be silly! New one!

Btw I saw someone else driving around in a hired trailer from a DIY shop with the jockey wheel raised about 6″ off the floor.. one ramp or speed bump and bang, similar results will be had I am sure.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yes, think your right….. new one.
    TheBrick, thanks for the link…. the one that’s fitted is actually thinner than the one you linked to and is even cheaper (I hadn’t looked a lot but only found ones costing £40-odd) – no brainer now.

Cougar

The moral of this story, incidentally, is “don’t lend out things that aren’t yours to lend.” I learnt this one the hard way too.

Cougar

Is it a hire one or a borrowed one?

If it’s the former, I’d suggest leaving it alone, taking it back broken and then sending your sister the bill for whatever you lose from your deposit.

If the latter, I’d come clean and offer to get it sorted (and then bill the sister).

sharkbait
    Free Member

No it’s borrowed off a mate for a number of months – it can live inside at my house whereas it would be outside at his.
    I’ve sent sister a link to the right one and she can have it delivered to me.
    She’s already said she’ll pay for a new one so no issues there. But you’re right about lending stuff. Just didn’t seem right for them to pay £80 to hire [a not so good one] for a week when I had one sitting here.
    She knows the owner as well as me anyway and he wouldn’t have said no.
    Will try and straighten the bent one anyway and keep hold of it 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

heat of a welder gas torch force from binners chosen tool
    it will be a bit weaker but assuming it is straight ish it will be load bearing at low speeds so should be ok

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Can this be straightened (trailer jockey wheel content)?’ is closed to new replies.