Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Can this be beaten?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOODDRIV/on-one-dirty-disco-ca

im desperate for a commute winter bike and this the best i can find for my money. ive been commuting on race bike and i want to put it away and keep it for weekends only. i know it cant take proper mudguards but i would try the race blades or something similar.

ive also looked at genesis but they seem exspensive and steel dont seem the right choice to me but i dont mind being proven wrong.
    im going the cycle show on saturday hoping to make my mind up.

your suggestions please would be grateful, thank you.

jacob46
    Free Member

just read the 3 reviews on what seems to be the first customers. shocking really!!

i hope someone from planetx can see this post of mine and explain. im still interested but been put off slightly.

Sancho
    Free Member

steel is the way forward, the genesis bikes are mint and quite a few good deals floating about on the equilibrium

unovolo
    Free Member

What about one of those new ’13’Brand CX bikes that Halfrauds are pushing, less than £500 and ideal as a winter hack.

brooess
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get carbon for a winter bike – they get covered in grit amongst other things, which can be quite abrasive. My winter bike is steel.
    No-one in my club rides carbon for winter – mainly steel or ally bikes and usually ones that are deliberately not too nice – the state your winter bike can get into, especially if used for commuting too, can be a bit upsetting!

Worth looking at Boardman or Genesis Croix de Fer or Kinesis maybe?

jacob46
    Free Member

Halfords, no offence but i dont like there stuff. Boardman may have good reviews but they dot appeal to me. thanks anyway.

im fasinated by these steel bikes. why??

are they really that good?

rustler
    Free Member

Those Genesis are lovely in the flesh.
    That’s where my money would go.
    Commuting is just so much better with full (proper) guards & a rack.

Not saying there’s anything wrong with PlanetX. I’ve bought from them a few times & not had an issue. Trouble is, it only takes one spiteful web whinger to post a couple of dodgy reviews under different guises & folk start to walk away. If the Disco fits the bill I’d go for it.
    Hell, Mick Hall rode one around the world in 90 or so days…!!!

I’ve often thought they should print a code on each receipt, that needed to be entered in order to leave a review.

spud-face

ye gads, £1200 for a winter commuter? Faux indignance aside, half that money could surely buy you a peachy second hand bike to thrash into the ground..

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

have a look at Kinesis bikes, they be at the cycle show they do a some very nice bikes cyclo cross pro6 or the 4seasons bike.

jacob46
    Free Member

spud-face ive been looking for a second hand bike now for nearly 2 months, the trouble is im 6ft 3 inches tall so i need a 58cm whyte, 60cm on one, 61cm specialized, 60cm genesis!!
    there are not that many for sale so stuff it ill have brand new with warranty.

Bregante

You need to look a bit harder!

£400 buy it now on eBay. Size 60 and mint (not mine)

Granted it may not be local to you but they’re out there.

jacob46
    Free Member

MTB ROB, thank you, i think you have helped me loads. ill go to cycle show on saturday and hopefully they will have a 60cm for me try or at least sit on.

cheers

jacob46
    Free Member

Find another one bregante. Bit closer to Birmingham so it don’t cost £100 in fuel.

Bregante

I did thanks. About 5 weeks ago 🙂 Cost me £300 for a lovely Tange Prestige steel framed winter bike with full 105 groupset.

Did the coast to coast on it a week later and it was flawless. I could ride it into the ground over winter and throw it in the bin and still lose less on it than you will on a new one…

But its got years of life in it.

jacob46
    Free Member

What the hell is a tange?

oldnick

Tange is a tubing manufacturer, Prestige is a chromoly of theirs.

weeksy

LOL I bought a Carrera TDF ltd for £229. It’s a perfect winter bike and as Bregante says, I can use it all winter, throw it in a field afterwards and it wont actually matter.

DavidB
    Free Member

throw it in a field afterwards and it wont actually matter

It will, bikes have feelings you know

jacob46
    Free Member

Ok,

I’ve got wheels & seat & post. If I was to get this I’ve found would it be ok to build up for my commute?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161386931378&alt=web

njee20
    Free Member

Did you just set up an eBay search for ‘winter bike’ ?

By the time you’ve bought a group set and finishing kit you’ll be getting on for the price of a new bike probably, I don’t think that frame’s particularly good value.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Can this be beaten?’ is closed to new replies.