• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Can there be a 'rubbish' SS chain??
  • DrP

As I think I’ve got it…

I was running an old 9sp chain, with ramped 9sp chainring.

This wore, so replaced with a SS specific Velosolo chainring, and a (cheap from halfords) 1/8th chain.
    The rear cog is the same…

The chain seems to stretch half an inch each ride. Despite tightening the tensioner up, the chain still skips. It’s rubbish. I never had this issue before!!

Is it a case of the chain being naff, as I’d have thought the new SS specific chainring would improve the situation?

Oh well….
    Anyone recommend a decent SS chain to try?

DrP

jamiep
    Free Member

Could you have had two issues, ramped chairing AND 1/8 chain? You only solved the former. Try 3/32 rather than 1/8?

Tom83

I use sram 8 speed chains on my love/hate, last for ages and yet to snap one.

DrP

It’s an unramped, 1/8th chainring. Singlespeed specific.

DrP

glupton1976
    Free Member
    Haze

Yes, it’s called a PC1.

Try a Wipperman White Star, have them on my SS and my fixie, been going strong for a couple of years without issue.

jamiep
    Free Member

Glupton beat me to it. £5 and £2.50 postage from on-one
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CHKMZ510N/kmc_z510_gold_single_speed_chain

cp

My pc1 did that for the first few rides, but seems to have settled down now and doesn’t do it.

D0NK

Yes, it’s called a PC1

what he said. Used sram 8/9spd and KMC 410/510 all good, but pc1s are rubbish.

Whilst on the subject anyone know where I can get half links? CTBM doesn’t seem to stock them any more and my LBS can’t get them either.

DrP

I too am on the hunt for the elusive half link….

DrP

DrP

Right, a few chains ordered (plus socks!) – still need a half link!!

DrP

bikebouy
    Free Member

No probs here with using KM510’s..

Why the need for a half link?

Edit: though have noticed lots of wear recently through the gloop we’re having on the trails of late.

DrP

Even with a tensioner, it’s a bit too long. A half link would sort the chain out a treat!

DrP

glupton1976
    Free Member

What kind of tensioner do you have? IME the only one worth using is the Gusset Bachelor push up tensioner type thing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Running the worn cog with a new chain will wear it prematurely.

D0NK

my slotted dropouts aren’t slotted enough I’m afraid, plus it’s a useful thing to have in toolbox if I want to SS a geared frame.

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

KMC’s have always been great for me and as Glupton says Gusset bachelor, it’s not self tensioning but I can’t remember the last time I had to adjust it.

johnnystorm

I bought a whole half link chain from Amazon for a tenner.

DezB
    Free Member

I had a half link chain – that stretched every ride too.

I’ve been using £3.99 Bell chains from Asda – last about a year of abuse.

DrP

I’ve tried several tensioners!
    Got a gusset ‘rear’ one that I took off as was a faff changing the wheel with it.
    Currently running a blackspire stinger up front, but it’s struggling to take up the full tension…

Stinger looks neater and means the rear wheel can drop in/out easily, but for functionality I might return to the gussett….

DrP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Can there be a 'rubbish' SS chain??’ is closed to new replies.