• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by IA.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can someone spec me up the best high end design/video macbook please?
  • Pook

I don’t know where to start

jwr

I’m selling my Macbook Pro & Cinema display if you’re interested. My rule of thumb with laptops is buy the highest spec you can afford as they aren’t always easy to upgrade. Hence mine is an i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, retina display beastie.

IA

Best high end? Retina macbook pro 15″ and max out the ram, cpu and SSD.

binners

With Macs, I always work on the principle that you buy yourself the highest spec you can possibly get at the time. None of them are cheap, so go for the expensive one with the most processing power. Then whack a load more RAM in it! With Macs, that will future-proof you for years!

I’m still using a 5 year old Macbook pro 17. It was the highest possible spec I could get at the time, cost an eye-brow raising amount, but still doesn’t struggle even when I’m editing mahooooosive hi-res photoshop files.Runs latest OS and CC without any problem. Starting to think about a new one. Not because I really need one. Just because. You know how it it. 😉

What you planning on using it for mate?

brassneck

Think the new Pros are non user upgradeable RAM too, so make sure you buy it all at the off. Shame as Apple price is a fair bit more than Crucial for the same RAM.

bluebird
    Free Member

A top end Mac Book Pro is £2500 before you add an extra monitor which you are going to need. Do you really need it to be portable? You could get a well specced Macbook Pro and an iMac for that sort of cash.

(I use an iMac for graphics, web development and some video stuff without any issues.)

br
    Free Member

I don’t know where to start

What do you actually want to use it for would be a good start, rather than blindly spending as much money as possible…

dannybgoode

Possibly a stupid question but does it have to be a Mac.

For half the money you could have a similar spec Windows based machine that you’d have more chance of being able to upgrade later.

Appreciate if Mac’s your thing but thought I’d mention it.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

For half the money you could have a similar spec Windows based machine…

With a 2880 x 1800 screen? Got a link?

IA

Haha, I love these arguments.

I’ve been considering swapping to windows (see http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/windows-fansmac-haters )

And the one thing that surprised* me was that high end comparable** win machines would all cost me more than the mac option.

*a tiny amount

**this is the key point. I’m aware I could get worse cheaper machines, or more powerful more expensive win machines.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can someone spec me up the best high end design/video macbook please?’ is closed to new replies.