Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Can someone recommend a funny book on kindle or iBook?
  • iolo
    Free Member

As I’m currently indisposed waiting for an op and Austrian TV is dire (how I met your mother and Ager Mangement on constant loop) I decided to read a book.
    I want nothing deep or heavy, just something to keep me amused. Something like The hundred year old man who climbed out the window and dissapeared. That made me laugh. The following book by JonasJonassen was bloody awful though.
    It has to be on kindle or iBook and has to lift my spirits.
    Any recommendations?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Look for ‘Round Ireland With a Fridge’ by Tony Hawkes (comedian, not boarder!)

Superb.

monkeychild
    Free Member

^ that is a great book. Had me in stitches (no pun intended).

Pigface
    Free Member

The early Carl Hiassen books were great.

daftvader
    Free Member

Googlewack adventure by Dave gorman or another +1 for around Ireland with a fridge….

sc-xc

Similar to the Dave Gorman and Tony Hawkes books mentioned above, Anything by Danny Wallace made me chuckle.

Irvine Welsh for something a bit darker, the new one about Juice Terry is good.

Bill Bryson’s travel books, especially the first two (Lost Continent & Neither Here nor There) are brilliant.

JulianA
    Free Member

Saki – short stories and very good!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Don’t tell mum I work on the rigs… She thinks I’m a piano player in a whorehouse by Paul Carter.

Apart from the great title it’s properly laugh out loud funny 😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

Three men in a boat.

Its not laugh out loud but its great and….. its free.

Selled
    Free Member

Driving over lemons – found this very amusing.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Bob Servant, Delete this at you Peril

This wickedly funny and original book features the anarchic exchanges between Bob and the hapless spam merchants. As they offer Bob lost African millions, Russian brides and get-rich-quick scams he responds by generously offering some outlandish schemes of his own. The spammers may have breached his firewall, but they have met their match as Bob Servant rises heroically to the challenge, and sows confusion in his wake

it can get a bit “Samey” but thoroughly entertaining read all the same.

rene59
    Free Member

If you like dark comedy and westerns then check out The Sisters Brothers. A story about two hitmen brothers in the wild west. Some of the characters they meet along they way reminded me a bit like the 100 Year Old Man.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

3 Men In A Boat of course.

Glad someone mentioned Saki, easily my favourite author of snobby ripping yarns, and I do love Wodehouse. Saki’s ‘Sredni Vashtar’ (Chronicles of Clovis) is a highlight. A sick/dying boy who secretly keeps and worships a ferret as some kind of vengeful deity. Dark and devilishly funny.

So this:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3688

Also ‘How To Be Good’ by Nick Hornby

mogrim

Another vote for Saki, and it’s probably free too.

Good Omens is quite possibly my favourite book of all time, and very funny (assuming you’ve seen or read the original Omen, that is).

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Oh, and I’m going to say ‘The Secret Diary Of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4’. Because it’s ace.

sv

The tent, the bucket and me was funny. Not exactly a heavy read 🙂

bruk

Christopher Brookmyre hooks are great imho. Starts with Quite Ugly One Morning and some pick up the characters in later ones though the Sacred Art of Stealing is one of my favourite books of his.

Available for download I’m sure.

Northwind

Spike Milligan’s war memoirs. And yep, 3 Men In A Boat. I don’t usually giggle, but I giggled a lot through this.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Can someone recommend a funny book on kindle or iBook?’ is closed to new replies.