Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Can someone recommend a diet.
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

Want to shed some flab, a stone or so. Can someone recommend a diet that will work – seems to be too much information out there so someone who has experience with one that works. Don’t drink or smoke, don’t eat too much crap and am 47.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Eat less move more!

Nutribullets!

chojin
    Free Member

Slimming World = Eat yourself slim.

Works for me.

andyfla
    Free Member

1, Get a my fitness pal account,
    2, decide how much you want to lose
    3, log all you eat
    4, add a strava/etc account to log your exercise
    5, err thats it really

No faddy stuff, just basic physics

Oh, and don’t lie to yourself – very easy to do

nickc

eat less food

mikewsmith
    Free Member

eat less
    drink less
    exercise more
    everything else is a fancy name for the above

try the my fitness pal etc to see what you actually consume.

gogg
    Free Member

Seafood, if it’s not cooked properly you’ll s**t that off in a week or two…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

5-2 diet. Have just now lost a stone in just over a month. I also swim 40 mins three times a week.

[video]http://youtu.be/VWtaLLjJzn4[/video]

Have been struggling for ten years with low-fat diets limiting calories daily. Never worked for me. This has worked. I obviously find it better to limit calories just two days a week rather than feal ‘cheated’ every day. So much so that have on occasions fasted on alternate days throughout a week. Becoming much more aware of what goes in. Stomach has shrunk after a month so have my portions. Even on normal day when allowed to eat regularly (ie Friday night) I will now throw/give half a bag of chips away. 😯

*Edit – I track daily intake/ exercise/weight etc progress on myfitnesspal. Enjoying the whole thing and now fit into old clothes. Rounds two three will see me losing another two stones and then fitting into *very* old clothes that have been stored for 10+ years on account of optimism over resolution 😉

theotherjonv

5:2 also. And I’m not entering any further discussion, it’s all been said already and haterz will still hate.

mogrim

1, Get a my fitness pal account,
    2, decide how much you want to lose
    3, log all you eat
    4, add a strava/etc account to log your exercise
    5, err thats it really

No faddy stuff, just basic physics

Oh, and don’t lie to yourself – very easy to do

This is exactly what I was going to recommend. But as I feel I should add a point:

6, Cook your own food. That way you can control what goes into it.

edward2000
    Free Member

Cut out sugar.

Google it on yahoo

mikewsmith
    Free Member

5:2 eat what you want then starve for 2 days, ideal if you can’t get your head around portion size and intake… work out what you eat and what you expend, injured at the moment and my intake is seriously reduced, no exercise, reduce.

The simplicity of the diet and the fact you can eat pretty much what you like five days a week, are key to its popularity. Dieters are recommended to consume a ‘normal’ number of calories five days a week and then, for two, non-consecutive days, eat just 25% of their usual calorie total – 500 calories for women and 600 for men.

As Jasper Carrot said the in hole is bigger than the out hole

pk13

stop eating one sugary item for ever. Milk chocolate is one I gave up.
    You would be surprised how much stuff is covered in cheap sugar filled coco solids.

teef
    Free Member

As Kate Moss says – “Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels”
    Repeat this to yourself anytime you’re tempted by cakes/biscuits/etc.

Weigh yourself every morning and keep a record of your progress so you can track how the weight loss/gain is going.

midlifecrashes

If you’re feeling peckish and it’s not a mealtime, ask yourself: “Am I hungry enough to eat an apple?” If you’re not, eat nothing. If you are, eat an apple.

mogrim

Weigh yourself every morning and keep a record of your progress so you can track how the weight loss/gain is going.

Weighing yourself daily isn’t necessarily a good idea – your weight fluctuates a fair bit, and despite having had a “good day” the day before you could still find you weigh more… I’d stick to weighing yourself once a week, and always in the same conditions: pick a weekday to ensure you haven’t been drinking (much!) the night before, just after getting up, no clothes, etc.

tyrionl1
    Free Member

teef – Member
    As Kate Moss says – “Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels”

This ^

I’m just coming off the back of losing a stone and I only had 11 of them, beginning to look a little guant, noticed hollow cheeks the other day, trouble is I’m trying to come off it but I now hate the taste of the fatty crap I used to eat plus it disagrees with me, makes me feel bloated and excessively gaseous.

My version of the 5 2, is 4 -3. Four days of the week it’s salads and I’m lucky Mrs Lannister makes some very imaginative salads and I live in a house full of women trying to lose a dress size for some upcoming wedding celebrations this summer. Basically Monday thru Thursday, no bread, no dairy, only white meat and fish,quinoa, pomegranate, feta, goats & sheep cheese, olives, blue berries, fruit, nuts, muesli, soya milk which I now much prefer over ordinary, buy the unsweetened stuff it rocks. It began as some ‘fourteen food’ diet she’d read up on, but basically she tells me if i can eat it. No sugar, no processed crap, no instant meals, ride everyday even if it’s only a short one and keep busy, either sport or in the garden. (Energy can be an issue at times).

What to do next is the problem, I like being light, does wonders for you climbing ability, but I don’t like being guant.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I like the idea of the 5:2. I’ll look into that, what do eat on your fast days.

ton

IDIET. my 5 stone weight loss proves it works. or any primal type eating plan.

Home

MSP

Weighing yourself daily isn’t necessarily a good idea – your weight fluctuates a fair bit, and despite having had a “good day” the day before you could still find you weigh more… I’d stick to weighing yourself once a week, and always in the same conditions: pick a weekday to ensure you haven’t been drinking (much!) the night before, just after getting up, no clothes, etc.

Weighing yourself every day smooths out the fluctuations better than a weekly weigh in, doing it weekly can take a couple of months to get a realistic trend of progress.

As for diets, I have found keeping a food diary the most effective method, it really makes you face up to what you eat far better than all the fads. Although I think reducing “white carbs” and upping quality fats and oils has moved from fad, there is still a lot of fads in the diets being sold that roughly follow this ideal.

theotherjonv

Protein (chicken, fish, eggs) and vegetables

Get mfp or a similar app and log everything for a fortnight, teaches you which foods are energy / calorie intense, and which are filling for relatively few.

Get used to feeling hungry for 2 days a week. It won’t kill you, and you do want to lose weight don’t you?

Hot water triggers the ‘I’m full’ reflex so a cup of hot water or black coffee or even half a stock cube (4 cals) can stave off the hunger. Or go and do something more exciting than sit around feeling hungry.

DrT
    Free Member

I’ve lost just over 2 stone this year, using myfitnesspal as an easy to use food diary and simple exercise log. Diet wise we have just ended up eating ‘clean’ (see deliciously ella for example) so just a good healthy diet although that has been evolution over the last 6 months rather than a deliberate step change in diet.

andyfla
    Free Member

Or go and do something more exciting than sit around feeling hungry.

This is what I have a problem with, I tend to graze when I am bored – so I go and cut the lawn, tidy the garage, go for a ride …. I love coming back from an hours ride and think I have created a 1000 cal difference over the crap I could have eaten in the hour I have been out.

Whatever diet you follow make sure you do a food diary – gives you a really good idea of what you are eating, plus it sometimes stops you from having that extra packet of crisps, choc bar, etc.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I like the idea of the 5:2. I’ll look into that, what do eat on your fast days.

I eat a handful of muesli at breakfast, or apple sliced into oats and boiling water for a low fat porridge.

When hungry again (midday?) crudités – a couple of carrots and some cucumber sticks, smeared (not gobbed) with hummus or dipped in chilli sauce.

Black coffee. Glasses of water.

Dinner – low fat soup, or (1) egg salad, or a cup of mtfu!

Some days nothing but an apple, carrots, water and vitamin tablet.

Whatever diet you follow make sure you do a food diary – gives you a really good idea of what you are eating, plus it sometimes stops you from having that extra packet of crisps

^^ Especially this. I find that keeping a daily food diary on MFP teaches me a lot about my bad habits and the calorific content of even one chocolate biscuit, slice of bread or bag of chips. Much less likely to have the odd fat ‘treat’ of past years. Much more likely to have a ‘good’ healthy treat.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I like the idea of the 5:2. I’ll look into that, what do eat on your fast days

Just eat salad a couple of times a week. Doesn’t sound as cool as 5:2 but that’s all it is.

mogrim

Weighing yourself every day smooths out the fluctuations better than a weekly weigh in, doing it weekly can take a couple of months to get a realistic trend of progress.

Not convinced: over a week a 100g fluctuation (for example) will get swamped by the overall weight loss (assuming there is some!) so you get a clear idea of progress, daily that’s not the case. But if you’d rather weigh yourself daily go for it, but don’t get overly excited or depressed about a single day’s results, you could easily find they’re reversed a day later…

sadexpunk

Not convinced: over a week a 100g fluctuation (for example) will get swamped by the overall weight loss (assuming there is some!) so you get a clear idea of progress, daily that’s not the case. But if you’d rather weigh yourself daily go for it, but don’t get overly excited or depressed about a single day’s results, you could easily find they’re reversed a day later…

thats the point. but MSP is correct in my opinion, weighing yourself each day gives you more data/reference points to work out an average.

womble72
    Free Member

Tim Noakes (Banting) diet. Low carb high fat and cut out sugar. Works for me. 7.5kg lost in 3 months and more energy than I’ve ever had before.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I can do you a personal diet and training plan if you like.*

*Disclaimer – I may just take your money, then go on a nice holiday, pretend to have computer problems and then disappear from the forum forever having never delivered anything and not given you a refund. 😉

DrP

Eat what you want, lounge around all the time, then simply lop a leg off before the weigh in?

DrP

cloudnine
    Free Member

Stop drinking alcohol.
    Try and cut a lot of suguar and processed food from your diet.
    Buy a road bike and ride with vigour.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Eat lean meats, veg and fruit, I have porridge for breakfast with banana and honey. Don’t calorie restrict it messes up your metabolism. I’ve lost 2 stone 10 pounds this year and I was only 13’10 at my heaviest. Bread,pasta and pastries are your worst nightmare.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Eat more pies.

Todchester
    Free Member

it’s all about subsitues. I struggle with wait loss fir ages. Got almond milk (un sweeternd) dates insted of all the other crap I use to eat. Thay have lower caloures and help wait loss. Get a fitness friend and strava goals to work with. An get a yoga ball siting on one burns loads of caloures with out thinking to har about it D

jambalaya
    Free Member

What @mogrin & @andyfla says, buying ready meals is death. My fitness pal is excellent, it takes some time to setup your meals but it really shows you what you need to do. Beer is a killer for diets too, ideally cut out all alcohol but a glass of wine or a gin/vodka is much better for weight loss if you want a drink.

I lost 1/2 stone cutting out the obvious bad habits (eg daily chocolate treat, drinking less) plus moving more

Good luck.

ebennett

Most has been said before but what works for me is:

1. Keep a food diary – one of the most eye-opening things you can do, scary how easily you can go way over your daily needs just by adding a few extra grams of pasta or an extra spoonful of olive oil

2. Cook as much as possible from scratch.

3. Eat little and often – small breakfast and lunch (~300 calories each) with fruity snacks in between results in fewer cravings IME.

3. Weighing yourself daily and getting an average is more accurate but weighing in weekly results in less obsessive/neurotic behaviour IME.

4. Commute by bike (if possible/you don’t already) – Lost 3 kg in 3 months since doing this without changing my diet at all.

edhornby

ride your bike more 🙂

pick a night in the week, set it in the diary, set a loop and do it – when your fitness improves, make the loop longer

(if you’re really feeling brave, do it before breakfast, before everyone else is awake)

johndoh
    Free Member

I lost a stone (12st down to 11st) in around 6 months and have kept it off simply by snacking a little less and going to the gym two or three times a week and doing an hour on the exercise bike at each visit (I tried weights and other stuff but don’t enjoy it so just concentrate on the bike). I also try to get out and walk on a lunchtime when I can.

I haven’t ‘dieted’ as such and I haven’t cut back on alcohol yet the weight seemed to come off really easily. I have also gone from a tight 32” waist to a comfortable 31” waist – so much so all my old jeans fall off my arse as I walk :-/

pirahna
    Free Member

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the iDave diet.

lunge

This has worked for me and my wife, may be worth a try. It’s not a diet, that suggests you do it then stop, this is just a simple way eating better.

1. Eat smaller portions more regularly, every 3 hours of so. This stops you feeling hungry.
    2. Drink more water, the physiology behind it is debatable but for me at least, I feel fuller so eat less.
    3. Cook food from scratch. The problem a lot of people have is that they don’t know what they’re eating so eat a lot of crap accidentally. If you cook things from scratch you’ll know what has or hasn’t gone in to it.
    3. Eat cleaner. Off the back of the above, eat cleaner, less processed stuff, wholemeal bread and pasta, fresh veg, butter not marg.
    4. Don’t sweat over good fats and avoid too much sugar. Lots of low fat food make up for it in sugar, there is an argument you’re better off with the fat.
    5. No carbs after 5pm. It’s surprisingly easy to cut carbs out of your evening meal, just eat more protein instead.
    6. Cheat meal. Once a week, go hard on a cheat meal, drink beer, eat chips, whatever, but do it.
    7. Not food based but do strength exercise on big muscle groups. Squats are good, burn the food up by using it to rebuild muscle.
    8. Throw away your scales. You (probably) don’t want to lose weight, you more likely want to feel better/look better naked/feel stronger. Instead take a picture of yourself and then take another every week or 2 and compare how you look.
    9. Don’t panic if you slip up. Ate a cookie when you shouldn’t have, don’t worry, it’s fine, just don’t use it as an excuse to eat the rest of the packet.
    10. Ride/exercise on empty. Bit personal this but for me, an hour’s exercise, gym or bike, before breakfast fuelled only on espresso works a treat for me. Just make sure you have a good breakfast prepared before you start or you’ll be tempted to raid the biscuit tin.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Can someone recommend a diet.’ is closed to new replies.