Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Can Someone Explain This Policy To Me?
  • pistonbroke
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for the elusive Alfine 11 hub for a few weeks and finally found one, it’s just been delivered so I’ve contacted a well respected local wheelbuilder who I’ve bought wheels off before and also bought tyres almost since they set up in business. The response from them is that they refuse to build a wheel using a new hub not supplied by them even though I will of course buy the rim, spokes and build time from them. I am willing to hand deliver the hub and collect as they are the most local builder to me. What seems almost as barmy i they are quite happy to bulid up a used hub. I can understand most aspects of the bike industry but this one’s got me stumped, it’s not even as though they have the hub I want in stock! Any clues?

Stoner
    Free Member

the retail margin on the hub goes towards the total income from the build. Without it, maybe the build price and rim/spoke retail margins arent enough to cover the effort. It would set a precedent for you turning up with your own rim, spokes and hub in future and requesting a build at the build price which would mean they end up for negative profit.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m guessing that they price their wheel buiding in a way that takes into account profit made from the price of the parts (hub, spokes, rim, rim tape).

Having said that, I never say no to any request – I just quote my happy price 🙂

EDIT: too slow again 🙁

nickf
    Free Member

They’re mad. Just go somewhere else.

PS Should have bought a Rohloff, y’know…….

uplink
    Free Member

Take it out of it’s box & tell them it’s a used hub?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

You’ve found a retail Alfine 11 hub?!?!?!?! Where, man…. WHERE!!!!!!

matthew_h
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you Pistonbroke? Might be able to help with both the wheel build and explaining the odd policy

D0NK

Seems a bit barmy to me, LBS has one price for the build if you get everything off him, another for if you turn up with some/all of the parts (used or not) which is far enough. Dunno why a shop would refuse business.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’m pretty certain I know where you’re talking about and if if it is I used to build wheels there.

Moved on now but can definitely help I reckon

cynic-al
    Free Member

Too busy/don’t want the business?

OP, are you a ****?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I take all the points re profit margin etc etc but I am prepared to pay a fair price for the time taken. If it was a Hope or similar high end hub that I’d bought for nowt off ebay then fair comment but they haven’t even got the one I want. Also the used thing is contradictory unless they mean only used hubs they have supplied.
    Matthew, I’m 5 miles from Wharncliffe, just the other side of the hill from the bog roll factory if that means anything to you. Would be interested in you building the wheel.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It does sound a little barmy to me. If it is a profit related policy why not just add a premium to the price of the build if the customer supplies the hub?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Pistonbroke, that confirms what I was thinking.

Email me on matthew@screamingjaffa.co.uk and we can chat it over.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

My mate is a WS manager and his wheels are fantastic. He builds for all the folk i know. If your keen i can get it done for you, just say.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

matthew h ygm
    bristolbiker got it from foreignland but On One have now got them so I heard today. Whether you can buy them on their own is another matter.

toys19
    Free Member

build it yourself.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Anyone know the spoke length, or how to calculate it?

thepodge
    Free Member

if its JRA then they won’t even true wheels unless they originally built the wheel.

Diawl
    Free Member
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Does seem daft. What’s their build price if you buy the hub from them/provide a ‘used hub’ (??)?

Cos if say for example it was £20 (just labour, not including spokes), then they could charge £30 maybe, offset some of the ‘lost profit’ Stoner speaks of. Considering it will take an experienced wheelbuilder no more than 30 mins, that would be a £60 ph labour rate.

Country’s gone to the dogs, I tell thee. 🙁

Alternatively, you could learn to build your own wheels; an immensely satisfying and rewarding task. 🙂

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I can build my own wheels but not done an Alfine hub so not sure about dishing, spoke length, pattern etc, I don’t fancy trashing £400 worth of hub due to my hamfistedness.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Building a good wheel takes a fair bit longer than 30 minutes, nearer an hour to do it right and get it spot on.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

matthew, I’ll see you tomorrow, no need to e mail, can discuss rim options then.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Good good,

Cheers

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Building a good wheel takes a fair bit longer than 30 minutes, nearer an hour to do it right and get it spot on.

Not for an experienced professional mechanic/wheelbuilder it shouldn’t. I can build a front wheel certainly, in under 30 mins, and I’m a complete idiot who takes ages anyway.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I am a professional mechanic/wheel builder. I can easily make a wheel in 30 minutes but to get a good one that’s properly tensioned, de-stressed, stretched etc and spot on true takes about an hour. Anything much less than that and they are short cutting and the wheel won’t be as good.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Can Someone Explain This Policy To Me?’ is closed to new replies.