Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)
  • can someone explain the Kodi TV boxes
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I think batfink’s Australian GOT example is interesting and I empathise with people who don’t want to install a satellite dish and pay huge subs just to watch one TV show. However, the reasons why someone chooses piracy don’t make the piracy any less piratey, or are we now saying two wrongs *do* make a right?

As some have said, you don’t *have* to watch that show #FirstWorldProblem

km79
    Free Member

As some have said, you don’t *have* to watch that show #FirstWorldProblem

But then again if they didn’t constantly ram things down peoples throats through advertising and hype, convincing them they did have to watch the show, then there wouldn’t be such a demand to watch things via piracy.

Cougar

Isn’t that basically the “she was asking for it” defence?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimjam
    Free Member

curiousyellow

Why not just accept you can’t get everything you want? When my Sky sub finished I didn’t go out and pirate GoT. I just watched something else.

Except you can get it, quickly and easily. I’d suggest you weren’t really much of a GoT fan or you would have found a way to watch it legally without subscription such as iTunes. Which reminds me. I was late to Game of Thrones when I wanted to watch it the first and best delivery method I found was iTunes. I happily bought and watched the first 3 seasons at roughly £1.99 per episode iirc. However, once I caught up with the actual broadcasts I realised iTunes was waaay behind the actual broadcast date so I started streaming it. Their loss.

At the end of the day, media is just entertainment. Just watch something else FFS.

We’re in a different era now. As above, this is the time for all access all media at all times. People can now watch what they want when they want and delivery methods that don’t cater to this will die.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@jimjam yes, I’m not a “fan”. I’ve read the books several times, I’ve read the fan theories, and the reason I started watching GoT was because someone I know directed Jack Gleeson in a movie and invited me to the premiere and I wanted to see what his character was like on the series. But no, I’m not a fan because I’m not rushing out to illegally get it on the internet.

Sometimes, just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

jimjam
    Free Member

You don’t have to get it illegally. Buy it on itunes.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    However, once I caught up with the actual broadcasts I realised iTunes was waaay behind the actual broadcast date so I started streaming it.

This is the major problem providers face, they don’t actually recognise the model is there that they need to use, has been for years, but they refuse to use it.

They can either see the pirates as pointing the way forward for their business model or fight against them. I suspect the ones concentrating on fighting against them won’t be around long term.

You need all content available immediately at a fair price.

In fairness, the likes of netflix get it, with doing their own shows and dumping them online immediately.

They’ll get there, but they’re very slow about it. though i suspect when all is said and done, you’ll still end up with having to pay 4 or 5 subs to get want you want. So the piracy issue will run for a while yet.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

But then again if they didn’t constantly ram things down peoples throats through advertising and hype, convincing them they did have to watch the show, then there wouldn’t be such a demand to watch things via piracy.

FTFY

Two different things. On the one hand advertising and hype is what film and TV makers do to make you want to watch something. It’s marketing. It’s what businesses do otherwise no one would know about the products they are trying to sell.

On the other hand, once you’ve decided you “must have it”, you have a choice; pay yer money and get the product the legitimate way or get it the illegitimate way for free.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@jimjam

You don’t have to get it illegally. Buy it on itunes.

I know, thanks. I think it’s on Amazon too. I’m not sure what the point you’re making is. I don’t stream/download it illegally. When I feel like I want to watch it, I’ll find a means to acquire it – legally.

Your rationale for streaming it illegally is along the lines of “it’s not available to me when I want it to be, so I’ll just acquire it illegally because I want it right now. How dare the owners of the content negotiate deals to have different air dates in different countries”. Or maybe you have a different reason. I’d be interested in hearing it.

Anyway, the UK/US air dates have been pretty much synced now for the last few seasons haven’t they? Why is it so important to people to watch it soon as it’s been aired and to also be able to acquire it in the method you want? Sometimes you don’t get what you want. Perhaps we should learn to accept that.

In an ideal world, you’d pay a fixed fee to your ISP which would bundle it several media services. But that will not happen anytime soon, because the ISP business model is to buy the infrastructure and collect rent on it. Internet is so important now, that people will pay for it regardless. They have no pressure to innovate or deliver a better service. Yes, some companies like Virgin are bundling OTT streaming products like NetFlix into their subs, but it will be a very, very, very long time until this ideal is realised.

On the other hand, once you’ve decided you “must have it”, you have a choice; pay yer money and get the product the legitimate way or get it the illegitimate way for free.

Why is this ^^^ so hard to understand?

km79
    Free Member

Why is it so important to people to watch it soon as it’s been aired and to also be able to acquire it in the method you want?

Because for some it’s a social aspect where they discuss the show with others and dissect every scene, speculate about the next episode etc. It’s as important to hardcore fans as the show itself. This will be mostly done online and can’t be if you don’t get the show until the following week/month/quarter etc. The producers encourage this part of the shows experience via forums, teasers, interviews, QandAs etc. They drive the hype and build up the show to keep their market share yet simultaneously drive others to piracy by not releasing the show until a later date or as part of an expensive subscription package that is not really wanted.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Meh, my thoughts are that if content creators, create good content, they could still make a profit even if they released it under a Creative Commons Licence. The key would be to ensure it was available via an easy-access and good quality method – we’re almost there with that now – Spotify and Netflix for example…

…But DRM still suck’s though – why can’t I easily watch content I’ve paid for on my Linux Desktop without having to dick about with browser plugins? It’s almost pointless so why bother?

I digress, the monthly budget that covers our access to content is now approximately;

£25 Unlimited Broadband,
    £6 Netflix,
    £7 NowTV,
    £8 Amazon Prime,
    £17.50 Mobile Phone contract which includes 20Gb data and Spotify.

So £63.50. At the peak of our Sky TV membership we were definitely paying more and getting a lot less of what we actually wanted.

Anyhow – this is not good news for Sky etc, they are now getting less of our money per programme/film we watch. So regardless of streaming legally or not, the existing media companies need to get with the times unless they want to be like Blockbuster Video. Blockbuster refused to adapt for fear of cannibalising their store foot fall by offering DVD-by-post or streaming; until someone else did it (better).

submarined
    Free Member

At the risk of diverting this thread into something useful, rather than endless repetitive loops – I have Kodi Running on a Pi, and I also have a Prime account. Are there any plugins that aren’t going to harvest my credentials, and allow me to watch my Prime service that I have paid for? Everything I find seems to be old and have reports of no longer working.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Get a Firestick and put Kodi on it. The best way I have found to run Kodi and it’s great for Amazon Prime, obviously!

submarined
    Free Member

Yeah. except I’ve got a spare Pi that I’ve already got Kodi on in the shed my wife’s summerhouse, a free telly, and rollers/my road bike.

If I’m locked into YT and GCN then that’s OK I guess, it’s just sometimes wouldn’t mind watching some zombies getting skewered while I’m sweating like a pig.

jimjam
    Free Member

BigEaredBiker

Meh, my thoughts are that if content creators, create good content, they could still make a profit even if they released it under a Creative Commons Licence. The key would be to ensure it was available via an easy-access and good quality method – we’re almost there with that now – Spotify and Netflix for example…

I think the future will look something like Youtube – a giant cross platform provider with sub channels created by individual content creators.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘can someone explain the Kodi TV boxes’ is closed to new replies.