Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Can someone explain front end geometry and trail to me?
  • andyh2
    Free Member

What would be the difference in feel between 2 bikes where everything is the same except;

Bike A has steeper head angle and lower fork offset
    Bike B has slacker head angle and higher fork offset

and to keep it ‘simple’ the differences in head angle and fork offset result in the same trail.

johnellison
    Free Member

Steep geometry – quick handling, very stable at low speed. Less tendency for the front wheel to “wander” or lift on steep climbs. Bike can feel “twitchy” at high speed. Road bikes and XC race MTBs have relatively steep front ends.

Slack geometry – slower handling, but very stable at high speed. When climbing the front wheel can feel like it is “flopping” from side to side. Slack front end geometry throws your weight backwards – on climbs the front end can “lift” in very low gears. Downhill and freride-oriented bikes have fairly slack front ends.

Image the difference between riding a Yamaha R1 (steep) and one of ORange County Choppers’ (slack) bikes.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

This is quite a good explanation, motorcycle related, but all the same.

http://bikearama.com/theory/motorcycle-rake-trail-explained/

jameso

Weight distribution would be the main difference, assuming stems etc are the same. Assuming they’re MTBs of some type, bike B may feel better in general, imo/ime. A lot of assumptions there tho )

edit to add, it depends on what you mean by ‘difference’ or what handling traits you’re after.

andyh2
    Free Member

Thanks for those links, I think the info in them confirms your summary JE.

The question arose a I’ve just ordered an Inbred 29er frame and was trying to find a Salsa Cromoto 29er fork in stock (without success so far) and began to wonder if it’s worth trying the Salsa 445mm fork I’ve already got.

I reckon I’ll give it a try, I might like it, if not I can always get the longer version later.
    Thanks

jameso

That’ll change things more as BB height, seat angle etc will vary too, but you have everything to gain by trying it out.

andyh2
    Free Member

I’m also hoping a Surly Knard 29×3 would fit the 445 fork, which would put geometry back closer to standard, rather than slackening it as it would with standard fork.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Can someone explain front end geometry and trail to me?’ is closed to new replies.