Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Can someone explain DT Swiss spokes to me?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Specifically, if you wanted to build the best compromise between weight, strength and stiffness, for AM use, where money was not an object, which spokes do you choose?

I can see that the Revolutions are out for that kind of use, but am unsure if the Super Comps are as strong/stiff as the regular comps, but lighter.

I’ve also been told by a wheel builder that you can use the areo bladed spokes to achieve a wheel that was as strong and stiff as built with DB comps, but about 100g per wheel lighter (£100 more expensive though).

Can anyone help?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ultimately the strength of the spoke relies on its’ cross sectional area, primarily, and the material from which it is made. I don’t see how you can achieve a stronger spoke by it being blade shaped, but then I don’t know the exact details of the shapes of the blades so maybe I’m missing a rather important bit of info. Back when I was building wheels semi-professionally we had literally no-one order aero spokes (despite being 50:50 road/mtb shop) so I’ve no experience there.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gonna save you 60gm per wheel over comps. They are 1.7mm in the mid section (vs 1.8 for comps and 1.6 for revs) so should be mid-way in terms of stiffness. They are 1.8 at the nipple which means std nipples won’t fit, which I think explains their rarity.

I’ve also been told by a wheel builder that you can use the areo bladed spokes to achieve a wheel that was as strong and stiff as built with DB comps, but about 100g per wheel lighter

Nonsense – you can’t get a stiffer wheel without more material in the spokes (all other things being equall)

geetee1972
    Free Member

Cool thanks for the input. It sounds like regular DT Comps are the best option?

packer
    Free Member

DT comps are pretty much always the best choice, regardless of the type of riding you are planning on it seems.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve got Supercomps on my Soda wheels, they seem fine to me, but it’s not a bike that gets *that* much abuse.

The other option – especially on the front is to lace them up 2x using Comps – comes out about the same weight as using Supercomps as the spokes are a bit shorter. My “AM” wheels are like this (with ally nips on the front too) and it’s holding up fine so far.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Jon – thanks for that. I’m conscious that you’re quite a bit lighter than me mind!

Had a blinding day on the classic Kinder loop yesterday. Rode it clockwise; there wasn’t a bad descent on it but the drop down to Roych Clough was quite special!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yeah – we were a bit behind you then (biggish group). Saw your bike outside the Woodbine, but couldn’t see you about the place.

We spent the weekend up there – had 2 glorious days. Really fantastic autumn weather. Top stuff.

geetee1972
    Free Member

LOL can’t believe we were in the same place! I actually bumped into a guy I vaguely know from Surrey Hills at Rosie’s cafe half way around the ride. It was comic because my mate had already commented that everywhere I go I seem to meet people I know or end up having some sort of chance meeting with someone.

At the point you saw my bike (I guess on the roof of my car?) we were either in 18Bikes or the cafe next door to it having a large mug of coffee and hunk of cake 😆 We were looking at the Cotics and I was telling HeiHei about what you get up to on yours and that you also ride up in the Peak quite a bit!

brassneck

I’ve also been told by a wheel builder that you can use the areo bladed spokes to achieve a wheel that was as strong and stiff as built with DB comps, but about 100g per wheel lighter (£100 more expensive though).

I think that’s a bit overstated. I have a wheelset built with said spokes (bought when I was younger fitter and richer – thought I’d buy a top notch wheel) and the builder himself who is a friend so doesn’t have anything to lose by being honest said there would be no discernible difference between them and DB Comps. I bought them because they looked good and he wanted to look at a set so gave me a decent enough deal to make it worth while – the price difference was a fair few quid over two wheels worth.
    To be fair they’ve been nails – only broken one in around 5 years and that’s despite my increased girth.

ericemel
    Free Member

If money is no object you want to get them built up with SAPIM CX-Rays. Amazing spokes

cynic-al
    Free Member

…way more expensive and just as flexible as revolutions.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Can someone explain DT Swiss spokes to me?’ is closed to new replies.