Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can somebody recommend me a ride in the SW that won't be a bogfest
  • hugor
    Free Member

I’ve had a few failed rides in south Wales due to extreme sticky mud and I’m trying to avoid the trail centres if possible cause they’re so busy these days.

How do the mendips hold up?
    Quantocks?

Thanks in advance 😀

Hareydan
    Free Member

Quantocks can be a bit hit and miss when it’s wet, you need to know which trails to avoid. Get a local to know you round and make sure you do weacombe cos it’s epic even in the wet! Only ridden the mendips a couple of times, I think they’re ok in the wet, I imagine you have to stick to the right trails though.

nickjb
    Free Member

Quantocks are generally good in the wet. Once you are soaked riding the streams is more fun, too.

Try Sustrans.
    http://www.sustrans.org.uk/map?key=South%20West&type=RG
    It’s generally “family friendly” routes, not proper mountain biking and there seems to be a lot more purple than green on that map, but it’s worth a look.

klutz
    Free Member

Ashton court, Bristol. holds up very well in the wet.

muddyman
    Free Member

the m5 maybe !!??

snaps
    Free Member

Quantocks generally but Willoughby cleeve & a few other combes can become hard going when covered in wet leaves.
    Exmoor has some good bits but most of my summer loops have short detours to avoid the muddiest bits.
    Princetown/Burrator loop on Dartmoor.
    Haldon trail center holds up well.

knottie8
    Free Member

Haldon was dry today but the Qs dont realy get muddy . We havnt had a lot of rain this week nr the qs.

hugor
    Free Member

Thanks heaps for the above – will do a quantocks ride tomorrow then.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

avoid the mendip unless you know which bits are ok

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can somebody recommend me a ride in the SW that won't be a bogfest’ is closed to new replies.