Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Can powder coat "crack"?
  • juan
    Free Member

Or is it my frame failing.
    It's a crack all over the weld between the gusset on the diagonal tube and the headset (underneath).

I'll get a shower and then a pic. but please tell me it can be the paint and I won't have to mug a bank for 500£ to get a new frame.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think it COULD crack, I'm not sure how likely it is without metal failure first, the material is fairly flexible normally so unless there's a really large build-up in that spot I'd say the substrate has failed causing the coating to crack. I'd certainly be stripping it back from around the edge of the crack to see which it was.

pastcaring
    Free Member

doesn't sound good!

Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

what he said—–^

PC is fairly felxible, certainly more so than the metal underneath.

jonathan
    Free Member

I've seen powder coat cracking due to corrosion underneath. Whatever it is you want to strip that bit back to find out – as CK said.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Similar thing happened to a frame of mine a while back. Particularly as it's on a weld, sounds like a frame crack to me.

juan
    Free Member

Pictures are uploading flickr as we speak…
    EDIT
    here we go…

Weird is that is fairly recent. And I have not been abusing the bike recently…

Tonylem
    Free Member

Powder can crack but that looks terminal I'm afraid 🙁

singlespeedstu

Looks fecked to me.

juan
    Free Member

nooooooooooooooooo
    Well off to get it sanded and see if my car bodywork can do something

nasher
    Free Member

Juan

spray some gt85 in there and then wipe off.

ride around a bit and if it stays clean then its ok

if dirt accumulates around it , then thats the metal rubbing against each other and its fecked.

Is it a commencal?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Time to put the new missus out to work the streets I'm afraid!

geoffj

Time to put the new missus out to work the streets I'm afraid!

and that kid of hers up some chimneys!

glenncampbell

Suggest to be safe you don't ride the bike and get it to the LBS sharpish! I had a similar crack on my blur on the bottom bracket and the weld was failing. Good luck with it!

plop_pants
    Free Member

Put some tipex fluid or nail varnish on the crack, let dry, ride bike (gingerly), see if crack reappears. If so then its a deadun.

juan
    Free Member

nasher it's not the commencal it's my handjob. I'll do the tipex/nail varnish stuff and see how it goes.
    Thanks all.
    Nasher I e-mailed you earlier on about italy.

singlespeedstu

Just scrape the powder off with a stanley knife to be sure it's fecked.

You'll see the crack then.

juan
    Free Member

I'll sand it off tomorrow morning and keep you up to date.

Best

Juan

juan
    Free Member

well actually it's the frame underneath the powder coat 🙁
    Off to the car body shop tomorrow…

Tonylem
    Free Member

Bottom of the headtube, think thats the last place I would get re-welded.

juan
    Free Member

Well I'll probably had a bit of material too.
    Still I don't get why it failed now. While I was in soton I use to go down big steps and all. Now I just ride it and most of the time with the GF so nothing hardcore/

Edric64
    Free Member

Just unlucky with fatigue I guess

druidh
    Free Member

Another Cove eh? And someone had the cheek to mention Commencal on this thread. I thought we'd already established that Coevs have a higher attrition rate than Commencals.

juan
    Free Member

Collin I though it was cotic 😉 Plus I already have a commencal. I am going to the welder shop tomorrow see if he can do something about it.

druidh
    Free Member

Tee hee 😉

And Cannondale? Must be any brand starting with the letter "C"

Burls72
    Free Member

Don't take it to a car body shop there is no welding standard in the car industry (except manufacture). The tubes on the frame will be paper thin and need to be braised you will more than likely get some mechanic try and mig it with their welder and blow bl**dy great holes in it. Ring up your local welding/engineering companies and ask if any of them would be able to braise it for you. It will never be as strong as it was but should be able to achieve a good repair. If you don't mind it looking a bit ugly you could always get them to weld the crack, flatten it back then weld a new gusset over the top of the old one which would relive the stress from the crack. If you hadn't already guessed I used to weld for a living.

juan
    Free Member

blur i'lll be going to a place called scai who weld planes for a living and who have fixed the lbs owner RM7 by welding a new seat tube. I'll keep every one updated

Macavity
    Free Member

Reynolds suggest ER70-S filler wire.

juan
    Free Member

Well the soldering shop I went in are not at their first weld 😉 the secretary told me they do plenty of bike (both repair and disc mount). In the work shop they have the two bike they have made (two half made of allow welded in the middle). They do boy racer alloy rims too, and are the only one that have the accreditation to work on planes. So they seems to be very serious…

takisawa2

Be sure to post a pic when its welded up Juan.

juan
    Free Member

Ok I'll try to remember (it's only going to cost 20-30 bucks).
    Now which colour to powder coat it (again)?

Burls72
    Free Member

Sounds like they know their stuff and having done bikes before is a good sign. Not a bad price either.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Can powder coat "crack"?’ is closed to new replies.