Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Can I use XT M770 9 Speed cranks with 10 speed rings?
  • Chrismc1
    Free Member

I am going to upgrade my 9 speed xt 770 to 10 speed xt. Dose anyone know if I can use my 9 speed cranks and just buy the 10 speed xt rings? Has anyone tried this before? Apologies if this thread has been done before, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

cruzer
    Free Member

You can continue to use the 9-speed ones aswell if you want. The differences between the 2 are mainly the chain ring sizes, theres very miniumal differences in the rings. Its a marketing ploy

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, don’t change your rings unless you want to go 2×10, just use the same cranks.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Just ensure they have the same BCD which will be 104 if your doing a 3×10 setup, might be different if you’ve got a 2×10, but IIRC 2×10 Shimano XT uses 104 bcd as well so should be all smiles!

With regards to the “marketing ploy” you probably can get away with 9speed chainrings on a 10speed chain, but running a narrower chain with big fat ramps to shift the chain will mean shifting will never be as sweet as it was with a 9speed chain and you’ll probably suffer more chain suck etc…

Dickyboy

I’m pretty sure the XT m770 cranks are exactly the same 9 or 10 speed – got a set of brand new 10 speed rings for sale if you are interested 😉

Chrismc1
    Free Member

Thanks fella’s 🙂

Thanks for the offer dickyboy but I am sorted for 10 speed rings.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Can I use XT M770 9 Speed cranks with 10 speed rings?’ is closed to new replies.