Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can I use standard tyres with a no tubes conversion kit
  • lyons
    Free Member

I went into a bike shop recently,to buy some new tubeless tyres. Well, I was very dissapointed with the range available, and they guy in the shop seemed to think that running standard rims, stans no tubes conversion, and standard tyres was a better bet. It certainly sounded it, as i could run the tyres i want, but I was wondering what other peoples experiences of this were? I’d be using something like panracer Cinders, so they would have a relatively strong sidewall. No super lightweight tyres for me…

Cheers, Andy

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Yes, that’s the main point of Stan’s. Some tyres are better than others – and Panaracers are not recommended IIRC – you need to have a look at the justridingalong website.

mboy
    Free Member

Maxxis work best, Panaracer probably the worst.

Radioman

I find proper UST Tubeless tyres best as they have thicker sidewalls and are designed for the job.

Oggles
    Free Member

Panaracers are OK once you get them to inflate. Whether you can be bothered to put that much effort in is up to you!! I’m stuck with tubeless on the front, tube on the back ATM because after spending £50 on rim strips, I am not chucking a perfectly good pair of tyres 🙂

If I had a bit more patience I could get the rear on fine, but I don’t have compressor facilities here at uni.

Saying that I have a mate who swears he could change his Fire XCs as fast as any other tubeless tyre. Not seen him do it though!!

takisawa2

£50 on rim strips…!!!
    Pair of BMX tubes does just a good job.
    Did mine with non-UST Michellin All-Mountains a few weeks ago. Haven’t lost any air at all.

takisawa2

Info.

I followed THIS
    Tyres are Kevlar-bead Dual-Compound Michellin All-Mountain’s. (Non-UST). Rims are X719’s.
    Its tricky the first time around & a track pump is a must. (bargain £11.98 from Asda).
    The trick is to press the tyre against the rim around the Valve to form a temporary seal. Once you have some air they soon pump up.

They havent lost any air at all & I’m now running a good 5 psi lower with extra grip to boot. Did the obligatory pin through the tyre test & they seal up instantly with just a tell-tale bit of latex bubbling through.

Sealant
    Tubes

orangeboy
    Free Member

been useing non ust tyres for the past year with a “joes no flats” kit seems to work just fine . But the lighter the tyre the more prone to splitting the side wall will be.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive ran bontys tubeless and it worked well but the easiest ive done have been maxxis did some highrollers and advantage the other day and they sealed straight away

jacksta
    Free Member

In my experience non UST tyres on converted rims are near on impossible to get to seal, but I have never tried a compressor. It seems that you can have one but not the other ie UST rims with non UST tyres but if you are converting rims its just way easier to use UST tyres. A compressor might make it a whole different story though!

firestarter
    Free Member

oh and with the maxxis tyres they sealed with a track pump where as the bontys needed to be done with a compressor

higgo
    Free Member

In my experience non UST tyres on converted rims are near on impossible to get to seal

In my experience it’s a complete lottery. Some go on fine, some don’t. In the end it frustrated me to the point of chucking the whole f***ing lot (tyre, wheel and track pump) into the field behind our house and reverting to a tube (once I’d got it all back out of the field!). I’m pretty sure the tyre I was trying to put on was identical to the one I’d taken off (which had gone on fine, never leaked but was worn out). I don’t deal well with failing at something and knowing that my only option is to try the ame thing again and hope for a different result.

Having said all this… I am starting to think again about going (converted) tubeless again. I guess time has dulled the pain.

specializedneeds

Have run both Bonty Mud X and Maxxis High Rollers on converted Mavic 717 rims and on No tubes Arch rims. Bontys seated fine with a track pump but used a CO2 cylinder to seat the Maxxis. CO2 is supposed to be a bad idea as it can freeze the latex, but I’ve never had a problem either at home or out on the trail.

lyons
    Free Member

Right, well ive been running tubes on tubeless rims so the worst that will happen is that but on none UST rims. I think I’ll try ghetto tubeless first. I just Spoke to a mate who did it, and it sounds promising. I think i’ll be going for some maxxis high rollers all round

What compressors do you use?

ac282

I’ve never had much luck with Maxxis. The best tyres I’ve tried have all been schwalbe.

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

I’ve used Schwalbe Racing Ralphs ghetto tubeless – fantastic – startling transformation to the bikes pace and ride quality.

This website http://www.justridingalong.com discusses tyre optionst

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can I use standard tyres with a no tubes conversion kit’ is closed to new replies.