Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Can I use my skate helmet for skiing?
  • jairaj

I have a Bluegrass Super Bold Helmet which is designed for dirt jump / skate park riding. To my (ignorant) eye the design looks similar to ski and snowboard helmets, so could I use it for skiing too?

Ignoring the exposed ears and lack of liner making it cold, from a safety / impact point of view would it be suitable to use while skiing?

footflaps

Yep, will just be a bit cold.

swdan
    Free Member

I thought there was a different impact test for snow helmets due to the effect the cold has on them? Could be wrong mind…

footflaps

I thought there was a different impact test for snow helmets due to the effect the cold has on them?

Still better than not wearing a helmet….

Plus I’ve never seen a ‘don’t use below x degrees’ sticker on a bike helmet.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I got some ears for my TSG Evo lid and it is spot on for that sort of business

swdan
    Free Member

I would agree (others may not, that’s a different story) but that wasn’t the question.

DezB
    Free Member

Some (can’t remember the brand, they make odd looking helmets) are for both – they have a removable liner so you can switch betwixt and between sports.
    Can you fit a beanie under your skate lid?

swdan
    Free Member

I also appreciate that “are they made to the same standards?” Wasn’t either. I was just mentioned that they may not offer the same level of protection

doggycam
    Free Member

I thought there was a different impact test for snow helmets due to the effect the cold has on them? Could be wrong mind…

You obviously dont live in the frozen North 😉

If this was the case all helmets sold in Scotland would have different tests!

Winter is coming…………. actually its here 🙁

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Better if you use it for Snowboarding but yes carry on

darrell
    Free Member

wooly hat underneath and it’ll be fine

dovebiker

The likes of Bern make helmets that meet both bike and snowsport standards – they just fit a different liner for winter use.

edhornby

A buff would also work if you can’t fit a full beanie under

pk13

cold ears. I used my protec one for 3 seasons bit of a faff with googles

headfirst
    Free Member

Decathlon do a good looking ski helmet for 20 quid that is goggles compatible. That’s what I’ve bought rather than use my water sports helmet. Available online.

Here you go

://www.decathlon.co.uk/h300-adult-ski-helmet-black-id_8374252.html

giantalkali
    Free Member

I use my piss pot style Bmx lid with a buff over my ears, it’s fine

DezB
    Free Member

The likes of Bern

That’s the ones

Greybeard
    Free Member

The type of plastic may be relevant; most are more brittle at lower temperatures, but some are more affected than others. So while the impact forces may be same as off a skate, the capability of the helmet may be reduced if it’s well below zero.

In the same way that the courts reduce the damages for a biking head injury if not wearing a helmet, they would probably reduce them if skiing in one not designed for snow sports.

So I wouldn’t say your helmet is unsuitable, just not as suitable as it could be – and better protection than no helmet. Unless there’s some reason, eg, insurance conditions or resort/snowpark rules saying you MUST wear a helmet, it’s entirely up to you how much risk you’re happy with. I wear a kayaking helmet for skiing.

footflaps

The type of plastic may be relevant; most are more brittle at lower temperatures,

Cycle helmets don’t have minimum temps, and if you live somewhere cold, you’ll be cycling in typical ski temps. So I think this is a complete non issue.

survivor

Used a protec bike lid a few times snowboarding and crashed loads and didn’t die. Was fine but I wore a thin motorbike balaclava under it to keep the chill out as well.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I mainly wear a helmet now because they’re snug, warm and better at keeping freezing wind in a blizzard off the head/ears than a beanie, plus I mostly ski North America and almost everyone wears them now.

Plus you can stick a GoPro or the like on them 😉

Skate lid – all the stuff above. Probably okay, just not so warm.

howsyourdad1 – Member
    Better if you use it for Snowboarding but yes carry on

You can wear baggy gear, fat skis and ride the park or powder and still be down with the kids.

Speeder

footflaps – Member
    So I think this is a complete non issue.

+1 – I think there’s a lot of people overthinking this.

Greybeard – Member
    In the same way that the courts reduce the damages for a biking head injury if not wearing a helmet, they would probably reduce them if skiing in one not designed for snow sports.

If you’re Michael Schumacher this may be an issue, for most mere mortals no-one will give a ****

Greybeard
    Free Member

for most mere mortals no-one will give a ****

And neither do I – as I wrote in my post, I use a kayak helmet for skiing, but I was answering the OP’s question.

jairaj

Thanks all for the feedback. Did a bit more research and seems the two standards for cycling and ski helmets 1077 and 1078 are not too different main thing I think is ski helmets designed to have more penetration resistance.

I think for my needs a cycling helmet is going to be fine. Its a dirt jump / piss pot style lid with very few vents. I think a buff over my ears and maybe a bit of foam in the vents is going to keep me warm enough. I usually get very hot and sweaty when exercising so staying warm is never difficult for me.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Can I use my skate helmet for skiing?’ is closed to new replies.