Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can I use my Shimano AM40 on Flats???
  • swiftyx2
    Free Member

Folks,
    I have damaged my wrist falling off my bike and it’s going to take a good few weeks in a brace to fix it.
    I ride SPD on my bikes and have not used flats for 20 years.
    So my plan is to try some flats while wrist is healing, so I can at least get some riding in.

So my question is can I use my new Shimano AM40 on flat pedals? Which will save me having to splash out on some proper flats shoes. My AM40 have got cleats fitted.

Regards
    Steve

gamo
    Free Member

Am40’s are for flats think you must mean mp66’s which will work
    but just not be as grippy.

chiefgrooveguru

If you’re used to SPDs is it not safer to stick with them?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lipseal
    Free Member

Going to get mine resoled HERE

swiftyx2
    Free Member

Hi,

My Shimano AM shoes are defiantly for cleats as I have been using them with cleats for a month or so.
    You might have them mixed the up with the old DX shoes?.

With my wrist been in a brace I feel a bit nervous using the SPDs that’s why I fancy giving flats a run, at least I can put a foot down quicker. Lol

Steve

steveh

A friend tried and had lots of peoblems with her feet coming off the pedals. If you’re just going to for fire road type easy pootles until it heals then it’ll be fine but I think it’ll give you a bad view of flats.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Am 40 shoes are for flats,not spd’s.(I should know,ive got a pair)

chiefgrooveguru

Presumably you’ll be riding more slowly/sensibly due to the wrist, in which case any shoe with a reasonably flat rubbery sole will work. AM40s are definitely not SPD shoes, I spent five hours riding flats in mine today! Are yours not MP66s?

Out of all the footwear I own the only examples I wouldn’t ride on flats are leather soled shoes or my sandals/flip-flops. The rest are all perfectly workable!

swiftyx2
    Free Member

Sorry Folks,

My shoes are Shimano AM45 the new black ones, Sorry for the confusion must be the morphine,lol.

Sorry,

Steve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can I use my Shimano AM40 on Flats???’ is closed to new replies.