Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Can i use mtb shifters with a road rear mech? (Shimano content)
  • MrTall
    Free Member

In the process of swapping over the frame on my hack bike which has been ss to date but i’m considering going 1×9 instead.

I already have a spare Deore 9sp shifter and could get a cheap (Rosebikes) Alivio rear mech (long cage) but then saw the new Sora shifter that comes in either short or medium cage variety (and is only £13 or so) which i’d prefer if it’ll work.

My head is telling me that the cable pull ratios will be different so i would need the road flat bar shifters which is no good as i’m doing it as cheaply as possible. Am i right or will shimano road work with shimano mtb in this case? Cheers.

dantsw13

I think the 2 components you need to match MTB/Road wise are the cassette/rear Mech, as the gearing ratios on a MTB are much wider than a road bike.

Mister-P
    Free Member

In this case yes, it will index fine. And the new Sora mechs are designed to clear a 32T cassette sprocket so fine with an MTB cassette.

MrTall
    Free Member

Cool, thanks.

So i’ll be ok if i use my existing 9sp deore shifter, deore HG53 chain, sora rear mech and a closer ratio HG50 12-25 (road) cassette then?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yep, will work absolutely fine.

MrTall
    Free Member

Much appreciated, cheers.

Dickyboy

Yes, can also confirm that should all be fine so long as you stick with 1×9 – mixing road & mtb front mechs & shifters doesn’t work due to differing pull ratios of the shifters

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Can i use mtb shifters with a road rear mech? (Shimano content)’ is closed to new replies.