Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can I use electrical tape to repair a severed mower cable?
  • spacemonkey

Managed to run over the cable with the mower (Rotak 37) yesterday and can't yet find a replacement. I'm sure one exists – if so, it's one of those that just needs wiring in. If not, or if it's silly money, then surely I can just use electrical tape on each of the enclosed wires and then proof with gaffa tape etc?

Or is this dangerous?

Cheers

mogrim

Be fine as long as it doesn't rain (and probably fine then, too), and make sure you don't pull on it too hard.

Jamie
    Free Member

Or is this dangerous?

Give it a go and find out?

richmars

Can you? Yes.
    Should you? No.
    Would I? Yes.

spacemonkey

Coolio – good enough me for. Ta.

allthepies
    Free Member

Sounds dodgy 🙂

But the Rotak mowers are great aren't they 🙂

</shedtalk>

MS
    Free Member

Should be fine. Got a few cables that are patched together with tape.

IMO no point buying a new one unless the current one doesnt work. Electrical tape does fine.

IHN

I've done it, it was fine.

spacemonkey

But the Rotak mowers are great aren't they

Absolutely (in the mower-scheme of things that is) – takes me half the time to do our lawn these days.

DrT
    Free Member

Of course instead of botching a connection with electrical tape you could stretch to the princely sum of £3.29 and use one of these which are less likely to kill you.

16stonepig
    Free Member

You can fix anything with electrical tape. Could probably do heart surgery with it.

theotherjonv

what DrT said. The only problem with those connectors is they come apart quite easily if you pull on the cable. Maybe try and find one that clips together more robustly.

And make sure you have the female end on the lead and the male end on the mower. Not like the bodge done at a place I used to work at when similar happened. The numpty technician that extended the forklift charging cable had the male end on the mains, so he had the pins live when it was plugged in. Potentially shocking experience if you handle them.

sweepy
    Free Member

I thought thats why they called it electrical tape.
    Electrical tape for electricity, duck tape for ducks 🙂

Seriously tho, I'd use it today, and probably next time, but a more reliable connection would be on my to do list.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Can I use electrical tape to repair a severed mower cable?’ is closed to new replies.