Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can I use clutch mech on older 9 speed drivetrain?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Noticed someone post a link earlier for SLX clutch mech at Merlin for £40.
    Would there be any benefit to get this over a conventional 9 speed XT?

Cheers

z1ppy

Read the whole thread, no it won’t offically work with 9 speed , but can be ‘bodged’ apparently

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-slx-clutch-mech-3995-merlin

timmys

Can I use clutch mech on older 9 speed drivetrain?

Short answer: no

Longer answer:
    Option A; ‘Proper way’ – minimum of new rear shifter, chain and cassette + the clutch mech itself.
    Option B; Bodge it using a SRAM shifter and a spacer on the mech (someone should be able to point you at a link that explains this).

trickydisco
    Free Member

found this

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/9-speed-sram-shifter-with-a-shimano-10-speed-clutch-rear-mech-will-it-work

Was wondering why ppl recommending shimano clutch mechs to Sram when using Sram shifters (is it because there is more choice with shimano?)

rascal
    Free Member

Ah, sorry – saw price in header without reading it. i am very bad.

gazc
    Free Member

my mate (STATO on here) is running a XT or SLX clutch mech with sram shifter 9speed. just need to make a simple spacer. worked really well and as far as i know he’s still alive 😀

Northwind

trickydisco – Member

Was wondering why ppl recommending shimano clutch mechs to Sram when using Sram shifters (is it because there is more choice with shimano?)

Nah, just the compatability- it might be possible to make a SRAM 10sp work with 9sp shifters to be fair but we know it’s simple to do it with the SRAM/Shimano mashup. You need the cable ratios to be right, or a reliable way to tweak them so they’re right.

Also if I’m honest I just like the added confusion it causes 🙂

AlexSimon

Aren’t the shifters one of the worst things about SRAM though?
    Admittedly I haven’t tried the XX1 ones.

bland

It is possible

You need to run a SRAM shifter and space out where the cable bolts to teh mech by exactly 6mm to get the pull ratio right.

I did this last week and it survived Sticks descent down Helvellyn at the weekend, cable pulled through once but that was my fault for not wrapping the cable around the spacers (washers) to get a good purchase.

Only thing i dont like is SRAM shifters. X7 used and the up lever was getting stuck behind the down lever so ive cut a bit off.

Its not a bodge, it works perfect and someone has actually taken the time to reverse engineer the pull ratios. Its actually 0.236″ or 5.99mm that you need to space it out (depending on how anal you are)

So in short, works exactly as it would with a shimano 10spd shifter but you have 9 gears!

AlexSimon

Now if only they made clutch rapid rise mechs, I’d be in.

Northwind

AlexSimon – Member

Matter of opinion that- Shimano don’t think so though, their 10-speed changed the feel and pull ratios to copy SRAM 😉 My X9-XT 9/10 speed setup feels very much like my Saint 10-speed, very solid positive action.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member

Having just tried some SLX ones I can’t get that one, much prefer SRAM for triggers but now using twisties so no hassle at all!

trickydisco
    Free Member

I might be being thick here but can i use a mtb mech on my cross set up? I’d like to go 1×10 without a chain device and this would sound ideal with those fancy chain rings that keep the chain on

reggiegasket
    Free Member

10spd road STI needs to be run with a 9spd rear MTB mech, so no.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

.. so nobody has got a 9spd Shimano shifter to run with a 10spd Shimano (clutch) rear mech yet?

Obviously, reading above, you can get a 9spd SRAM shifter to work with the 6mm chock – but what about a Shimano 9spd shifter?

Northwind

The pull ratios are very different with 9-speed Shimano so while it can probably be made to work, it’s not going to be as simple.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can I use clutch mech on older 9 speed drivetrain?’ is closed to new replies.