Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Can I use any (car ) DOT 4 hydraulic brake fluid for my Quad brakes?
  • amaan
    Free Member

As title, I've got a set of Quad dimes which need bleeding, according to the service manual, I need to use Fuch DOT4 fluid, but does say other brands of DOT4 are OK too, so can I use Halfords own make(made for cars)?

Thanks

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Yes. DOT4 is DOT4.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup – you could also probably run DOT 5.1 by flushing though with 5.1 if you can't easily get DOT 4 locally – you can mix them BTW but I would flush the 4 out really (fluid change instead of just a quick bleed) 🙂

amaan
    Free Member

Thanks, just thought I'd make sure, and yep going to completely change the fluid.

Thanks again.

Pierre

Yes, best not to mix them but DOT fluid is made to a standard; if you're buying a fresh bottle, might as well buy DOT 5 (higher quality, higher boiling point), but make sure you flush the system through properly.

: P

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

dot 5 is not the same as dot 5.1 do not mix dot 5 with any other dot fluid. its the odd one out. dot 5 is a silicone based fluid all the others (dot 3 4 and 5.1) are polyethylene glycol-based. it will bugger your brakes if you do.

Macavity
    Free Member

DOT 5.1 is really, only of benefit, for vehicles that have ABS.
    DOT 4 as has been said is DOT 4 brake fluid.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Can I use any (car ) DOT 4 hydraulic brake fluid for my Quad brakes?’ is closed to new replies.