• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by csb.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can I use any 9v adapter or do mA matter?
  • csb

I have a baby monitor that charges from a holster. The plug adapter supplies 9v and 300mA. The wire has come loose.

i have a spare 9v adapter, but it supplies 1.5A.

I’ve read that as long as enough A is supplied it would work. Will I die?

nickjb
    Free Member

Should be fine. There’s a risk that it is more than just a power supply and has some charging smarts in it, though.

csb

So if I cut and wires, connect them in a ‘just testing’ fashion, and give it a go, will it be obvious if the adapter had cleverer innards than just a 240-9 volt adapter?

MikeG

some cheaper adaptors only put out the rated voltage under load, if you’ve got a multimeter I’d check the voltage when it’s only having 300mA drawn – it could be quite a bit higher

csb

I don’t even know what a multimeter is. I think I’ll leave it alone….

dannybgoode

You will be fine. It’s a problem if you want to run a gadget that needs 1.5A with a 300mAh supply but I’m the other way round. Just means you have plenty in reserve.

Have just sat a technical radio exam that covers reasonably advanced electronics…

spooky_b329

Double check whether the existing lead is positive pin or negative, there is no standard so you need to ensure you don’t switch the polarity.

Lots of generic chargers come with a switch or you can turn the pin around on the end of the lead to switch the polarity.

csb

The wire is hard wired into the holster. So I’d planned to cut off the bad adapter, and the connector from the new adapter, and initially splice the wires together to test it, before using proper connectors later. Would a +ve/-ve mistake blow it up?

allthepies
    Free Member

Incorrect polarity could break it, you won’t know until you actually do it 🙂 Get a cheap multimeter, google will tell you what they are.

csb

Thanks all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can I use any 9v adapter or do mA matter?’ is closed to new replies.