Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can I use a time trial bike on a turbo trainer?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

I realise a TT bike should physically fit on turbo trainer, but is the position on the lever “hoods” too short? Does it get irritating changing gears on the centre rests etc? Etc etc.

I’m trying to justify a TT bike, but it would help if I could put it on the turbo when not using it out on the road, instead of the other bike I have on the turbo at the moment.

Are there any practicalities I should be aware of?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Of course you can.

kilo

I used mine on the turbo to get used to the position, when I tt’ed I only ever used the tt bike on the turbo

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I have too many drop barred bikes and fancy a dedicated TT bike, but I also road race.

Trying to decide if I’ll get naffed off reaching for the central shifters when doing intervals etc.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Only you know the answer to that.

It’s no real faff tbh.

I use my TT bike on the turbo a fair bit, both for getting in the position and so I can leave it there as I use a road bike for most road rides.

cp

If you race tt then a TT bike on the turbo is ideal, as you’ll get more used to the position and you’ll develop the specific muscles.

And if you’re training on the tt bike on the turbo you should be on the aero bars so the shifters are in your hands anyway.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I try and do regular sessions with the TT bike on the turbo. Don’t enjoy it much though. Difficult to get a fan set up effectively and I end up watching the iPad through the poles. Also very sweaty, get a headband.

Those issues aside, I still do the majority of work on a normal road bike on the turbo (have an old one that is just for the turbo.) I’d not want to be doing long 3hr sessions on the TT bike, angles are all wrong, saddle not right for the job, etc.

nairnster
    Free Member

It will be faster as you will be more aerodynamic than on a normal road bike.

bigyinn
    Free Member

lol!

stevemtb
    Free Member

My turbo bike got nicked, killed two birds with one stone and got a TT bike for summer TTs and winter training. Then stopped biking! Had it on the turbo all winter, due to back issues couldn’t hold TT position. Propped the front end up and did hard intervals on the bars but had quite an unright position the rest of the time. Worked well, well would have if I’d done much training… Did enough to know it was fine for varied positions anyway.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can I use a time trial bike on a turbo trainer?’ is closed to new replies.