• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mcj78.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can I use a Hope crown race in place of a Cane Creek one?
  • hora
    Free Member

Is it possible/ok? They look very similar.

wwaswas

Did you not get one with the headset?

vmgscot

Worked Ok my GF’s bike…

brassneck

I use an FSA one on everything as it’s a split race. Can’t see how a cartridge lower bearing is going to care.

wwaswas

The onlt thing to bear in mind is that there are several standards (who’d have thunk) for the angle that the crown race and bearing interface at from the horizontal.

If you use the wrong angled crown race you may find it difficult for the headset to remain tight as the contact between the headset and crown race is not across the whole surface and there’s movement between them

hora
    Free Member

Forks ar being held somewhere by a parcel company en route to service with the race etc on so it means I need backup forks etc for the weekend 🙁

Birthday weekend.

bigyinn
    Free Member

WTF is a birthday weekend? Some sort of time distortion?
    Its a birthDAY, unless your mum was in labour over the course of two days. Was she?

hora
    Free Member

Its a three day extravaganza. The Queen created a national holiday to coincide too 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Mmmm, of course it is. Enjoy.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

both are 36 degree internally, if I remember correctly, so should be fine.

As said, a 45 degree will cause issues eventually.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

I’ve had issues in the past where the bevelled portion of the crown race is not high enough to contact the bearing. That was hope crown race with works angle set

mick_r

If you aren’t heavy……… almost anything will work.

Discovered Hope crown race was a loose fit on junior’s bike whilst on holiday in Pyrenees (was using an oddball fork and old ish Hope headset). So I found a spare 5mm ahead spacer and hand filed a chamfer to roughly fit the lower bearing. Then cut a slit so it would expand over the steerer base. Problem solved (no more loose headset for the remainder of the holiday). Come to think of it, he is still riding it now 9 months later. I really must replace it sometime….

So if it is the correct angle, fits the steerer and headset isn’t loose then I’m sure it will be fine.

mick_r

Apologies – Stupid slow update double post website 🙂

If you aren’t heavy……… almost anything will work.

Discovered Hope crown race was a loose fit on junior’s bike whilst on holiday in Pyrenees (was using an oddball fork and old ish Hope headset). So I found a spare 5mm ahead spacer and hand filed a chamfer to roughly fit the lower bearing. Then cut a slit so it would expand over the steerer base. Problem solved (no more loose headset for the remainder of the holiday). Come to think of it, he is still riding it now 9 months later. I really must replace it sometime….

So if it is the correct angle, fits the steerer and headset isn’t loose then I’m sure it will be fine.

benpinnick

I just checked this out for you (at the workshop late). Yes you can, and infact you could run a CC bearing too. They are slightly shorter than the hope, but will work ok.

hora
    Free Member

Cheers guys 😀

Hopefully this topic will help anyone google fu searching in the future too

Northwind

There’s a fair chance I’m using a Hope one in a CC headset just now. Honestly no idea really, they all just get mixed up.

mcj78
    Free Member

Yep, I mangled the crown race on my CC S3 a while back & replaced it with a Hope split one – remember at the time struggling to get a replacement CC part & eventually found out the newer style hope race & lower bearing is the same (one of the lower bearings is a bit cheaper than the other which might be useful)

J

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can I use a Hope crown race in place of a Cane Creek one?’ is closed to new replies.