Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • can i use a 10 speed sram red derailler with my 9 speed setup?
  • paulo6624
    Free Member

hi got an sram red rear mech for xmas, but it appears to be a 10 speed, i currently have a 9 speed set up and dont really plan on changing it in the near future, can i use this mech with current set up and just alter limit screws to stop it moving to far or will that not work? any help here would be much appreciated thanks

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

No it won’t work. Red is a road mech designed to work with the 10 speed road shifters, don’t even think it works with the XX and X0 10 speed stuff if I remember correctly.

Junkyard
    Free Member

a mech is a device attached to a spring how far it moves it decided by the amount the shifter pulls the cable not the mech per se. I have certainly used 9 speed with a 7 speed set up and a 7 speed mtb with a 10 speed road set up [emergency] without issue

as it is SRAM you need to know the actuation length to see if it is cmpatible with the shifters. It will either work with Shimano ones or SRAM but not both – assuming we are discussing mtb stuff that is IIRC the road stuff is the same for both brands.

Yes the mech will cope but whether your shifters are compbatible is the real issue

phil.w
    Free Member

SRAM road & MTB is cross compatible – i have a road shifter with a X9 mech on my MTB

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

“SRAM road & MTB is cross compatible – i have a road shifter with a X9 mech on my MTB”

Yes I been told by the rep at ALL 10spd ROAD and MTB drive chain can be inter- mixed so you really can pick and mix to your needs

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Fair enough, I guess it does work. it’s not what they told me when I enquired about it but there we go.

paulo6624
    Free Member

Thanks guys, it seems Sram say no but general consensus seems to be that its possible, I currently have XT shifters so seems like Im getting into murkier waters here, might stick it on the classifieds and buy Xtr mech instead, thanks everyone for your input, its really appreciated.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘can i use a 10 speed sram red derailler with my 9 speed setup?’ is closed to new replies.