Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • can I upgrade to 2×10 in stages?
  • Lakes_Puma

I needed to replace the crankset on my HT so I’ve moved my triple SLX crankset off my FS. I now need to purchase a replacement for my Cove G-Spot and want to go 2×10 but can’t afford to replace everything straight away so could I get a 10 speed double crankset and still use the 9 speed chain and cassette for a while?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Yes, first go 2 then go 10.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, no worries.

You presumably know you’ll also need a new rear mech when you change to 10 speed?

chrisjnr
    Free Member

I think I read on Sheldon Brown, that there’s need to replace a triple with a double anyhow… as the cranksets are identical, just with different chainrings.

Going on that surely it would be more economical to purchase 2 new chainrings 26/38… Saving you about £100 with which you could start to buy the other bits? Or am I missing something?

Lakes_Puma

njee – yep I know I’ll need a new rear mech and shifters, hence the extra expense.

chris – I need a new crankset no matter what so I was looking to get something that will last into upgrading to 2×10

I looked at the new 2 ring XT crankset but it states that it can only be used with a 10 speed chain, and I can’t use a 10 speed chain on my existing 9 speed cassette

mrmo
    Free Member

njee – yep I know I’ll need a new rear mech and shifters, hence the extra expense.

You know you only need ONE shifter? the front is just set up so you don’t use all three positions.

As for the 9spd/10spd thing, i am using a ten speed chainset on the roadbike with a 9spd chain with no issues and see no reason why it should be different on the MTB.

My MTB has XT cranks, and TA 26/40 chainrings, mounted in the bottom and middle positions.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘can I upgrade to 2×10 in stages?’ is closed to new replies.