Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can I trust a Sram team GXP BB?
  • Telemaster18
    Free Member

The standard GXP BB that came on my SRAM OEM crankset has gone so need a new one but can’t work out what’s best. I won’t be spending hope or chris king money but also don’t want it to die after a few months.

I’m annoyed really as I’ve stripped it and re-greased regularly.

Thanks in advance

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Bump, same question for me please!

frogstomp

The choice of decent replacement GXP BBs seems a bit thin.. I’ve got some Enduro replacement bearings to stick in the shells when mine goes…

spursn17
    Free Member

I’ve had one go in a few months, others (I have 3 bikes with them) have lasted a couple of years. They’re about £20 and I consider them disposable items, they last longer than brake pads/blocks.

Northwind

Token BBs can be converted to GXP- though I’m not sure if the parts are actually available, a wee google didn’t turn any up.

SRAM BBs are a joyous combination of a bit expensive, and a lot shit.

deadkenny
    Free Member

£20. Can get bucket loads of them for the price of a Chris King.

Anyway, despite what some people seem to do with them I find they last years without complaining and then can just re-grease, but then £20 replacement who cares.

Just treat them right. Torque cranks correctly to spec, not LBS gorilla tight, not too loose. Load up with loads of grease. Don’t pressure wash. No GT85! etc.

Though I end up greasing the bearing surfaces frequently as I’m often taking the cranks off for one reason or another like many changes I’ve made to chainrings, chain guide and cranks themselves.

Tip though – a rubber o ring or two where the gap is on the drive side between dust cap and crank (yes there should be a gap of a couple of mm there)… helps stop the plastic dust cap rotating off and letting dirt in.

Northwind

I didn’t have time to pressure wash/GT85 the one in my Soda- 4 rides, one of which was wet, and the thing was already rough. Outstanding. And yep, torqued to spec.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope with a GXP BB, cheaper in the long run. Or just keep buying the crap ones and replacing them or spending loads of time removing and replacing them to grease them.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ditch the lot for a £15 square taper internal BB. Heavier but they just work for years and years.

Oh, you will need a square taper chainset though, see Middleburn.

jekkyl

Halfords do them the cheapest for 20.99. They are shit though, they can last for 8-12 months or just 2 or 3. They go all grindy and then crack n squeal.

deadkenny
    Free Member

… or they last for years 😉

I say the same about headsets too that people moan about. I just don’t get what people do to their bearings.

mtbfix

Can I trust a Sram team GXP BB?

Well it’ll not run off with your wife. Nor will it last as long as you might hope. So yes and no.

daver27
    Free Member

just having the same problems, with SRAM going all BB30 the GXP standard is a little thin on the ground for decent replacements.

ditched my Rival chainset for an FSA setup so i can use plentiful and decent quality hollowtech BB’s.

cost £120 from Planet x and it’ll do me!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Can I trust a Sram team GXP BB?’ is closed to new replies.