Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Can I take a hip flask on board an airline
  • nickc

If it’s in my hold luggage that’s ok isn’t it?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Will it have any liquid?

Best calling your airline to be honest.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Empty, yes.
    Full, yes. Assuming under 100ml and flight from the UK.

One does wonder why you’d need to take a full one on a flight though.

Flaperon

If empty it shouldn’t present a problem. It falls under dangerous goods regulations if it still contains alcohol.

Alcoholic beverages, when in retail packagings, containing more than 24% but not more than 70% alcohol by volume, in receptacles not exceeding 5 L, with a total net quantity per person of 5 L.

trail_rat
    Free Member

empty and open would be my advice after flying with empty MSR fuel bottles – similar concept but larger and fully purged for days before flying.

benp1

Unlikely to be able to take it part full, ridiculous I know

You can take an empty bottle, and a full 100ml bottle, but rarely a part full bigger bottle, say 50ml in a 500ml bottle. Different procedures in different airports, sometimes you get through, sometimes you don’t. I’d be upset about pouring good alcohol away

olddog

Do you mean in your handbaggage/carry on. I can’t see any issue if it’s in the hold?

If you mean carry on, then empty and open

bruneep

Put contents into these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-ml-Plastic-Bottles-for-Travel-x-5-Free-Case-Airport-Security-Approved-/151051659626?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 then decant back into hipper when through security.

stupid I know but that’s the rules

dashed
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    If it’s in my hold luggage that’s ok isn’t it?

Do folk only read the thread title and not the OP??

maccruiskeen

One does wonder why you’d need to take a full one on a flight though.

You’re allowed to take one on board so long as you fulfil both of these strict criteria

1: You’ve a letter from your GP confirming that you require medicinal whisky because you are a diagnosed and certified ‘nervous flier’ and need something to wash down the valium.

and

2: You are the captain.

bruneep

what’s the fun in reading the op’s post properly, really some people are right killjoys
    🙄

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah I’m confused now – I thought the 100ml thing only applied to carry on. How else are you supposed to take back wine/spirits you buy abroad? afaik it’s only dangerous/flammable liquids you can’t take in hold luggage

user-removed
    Free Member

Just drink whatever it was that you wanted to put in the flask. Before boarding. I’m confused as to why you’d want to pack a full hip flask – perhaps it’s a present?

maccruiskeen

afaik it’s only dangerous/flammable liquids you can’t take in hold luggage

the cask strength whisky of unknown provenance currently in my hip flask was responsible for the Christmas-Pudding-Inferno last christmas still known amongst the witnesses /victims as ‘The Dresden-themed Dessert”

user-removed
    Free Member

You still have whisky in your flask from last Christmas?! This story had better be a topper.

maccruiskeen

no I have the same whisky in the flask – the whisky wasn’t from the flask -but it all comes from the same bottle. – this one

seosamh77
    Free Member

depends if the catch you with it.

breadcrumb

I imagine it will be fine in the hold.

I brought back a 1.5l bottle of rum from the U.S., it was only on the flight I realised I was 500ml over the allowance.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Could you also take an un-hip flask on a flight?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We once brought 2 bottles of wine back from Australia in hold luggage, that was 3 separate flights. Can’t see a problem TBH.

globalti
    Free Member

I often carry bottles of wine in my case when coming back from South Africa. I sometimes carry samples of flammable and hazardous liquids in tiny 25ml aluminium flasks when going on trips and in hundreds of flights no airline has ever bothered. The only people who are interested are avaricious Customs officers in countries like Nigeria who will hold you to ransom for Dollars if they suspect you have anything you value in your case. I’ve even been forced to pay $10 to liberate some chocolate I was carrying once.

dantsw13

I sometimes carry samples of flammable and hazardous liquids in tiny 25ml aluminium flasks when going on trips and in hundreds of flights no airline has ever bothered.

May I humbly suggest you don’t do that in the future??? Airlines have very strict rules on the carriage of dangerous goods. They have to be packaged and labelled IAW IATA dangerous goods legislation. Penalties for non-compliance are pretty hefty.

Without being melodramatic, you are potentially putting everyone at risk.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Can I take a hip flask on board an airline’ is closed to new replies.