Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can I swap to V-brakes from canti?
  • jkomo

Are the posts the same?
    It’s for my do it all 1994 GT mtb.
    Thanks

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

As long as its cantis and not a u brake under the BB chainstays, yes. Also change the levers.

jkomo

Oh no, the levers are all in one jobbies. Really nice stx ones.

ratherbeintobago

The cable pull is different, so they won’t work with your existing levers.

ssboggy
    jkomo

Cheers guys

coatesy
    Free Member

You may also have problems with the lack of a rear cable stop on a GT of that vintage, zip-tieing a full length outer to the frame will solve that one (clamp-on stops were available at one time, but I suspect your frame will ovalized in the area it needs to be clamped).

Edric64
    Free Member

Get a seat clamp cable stop hanger. I have one that goes on the bolt on the seat clamp of my steel cross frame

jkomo

Yeah, I will stick with the canti’s, and it is the rear that is the problem.
    Unfortunately the seat post is stuck, otherwise the seat tube cable stop would be ideal.
    I’ve ordered some brake pads, hope this might help a bit.

mrmo
    Free Member

If your going to v brakes you won’t need a frame stop, as the vbrake noodle is the stop.

Does it have exposed cables on the top tube? in which case outer from lever to first stop bare then outer from second stop to the noodle on the rear brake.
    If it has hoop type guides, then full length outer and use the noodle as the stop.

jkomo

I will stick with the conti’s as I don’t want to swap levers and shifters.

jkomo

The rear set up is pants, there is a stop on the top tube then a sort of guide which takes it around the seat tube.
    The loss of power is down to this bit.
    A seat collar stop would have been ideal.

JoeG
    Free Member

Use one of these on your top tube for your rear cable stop.

Problem Solvers Backstop

unovolo
    Free Member

Is the guide like the small pipe around the seat tube in the photo below?

Is so it should have a small plastic pipe within it for the cable to run through,it can be replaced with a section of cable inner sleeve(The ptfe stuff)

Its there to help the inner cable run smoothly ,if its a old frame it could very easily be missing/damaged or just gunged up , a new piece of inner sleeving can make a big difference.

I’m renovating a old saracen like in the pic but have removed the pipe completely as I will be running a V brake on the rear.

unovolo
    Free Member

Or you could get a set of these;
    LINKY
    Bit pricey though

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Pauls minimoto’s or any mini v would fine with canti levers, the only downside is tyre clearance.

It will be tight on a mtb tyre but fine on a thinner tyre or slick.

You could look at better quality canti’s like the Avid shortys with a good set of pads.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can I swap to V-brakes from canti?’ is closed to new replies.