Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Can I shorten this factory-made coaxial cable?
  • globalti
    Free Member

Mrs Gti wanted the TV moved and we had a choice of a 2m factory-made antenna cable or 10m, so we bought the long one but the signal is terrible and we only actually need about 4 m. Pic below of the plugs – can I cut the cable and attach a standard DIY screw-on cable as you do with the older fatter black cable?

jota180
    Free Member

Finding a plug that’ll fit that diameter cable isn’t easy and there isn’t a great deal of shielding to play with.

I’ve done it in the past but soldered a phono on and then used a phono to Belling Lee adaptor

Drac

If you say Ton 3 times he magically appears with offers.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Yes, I just made a 20cm one for my wall mounted tv doing exactly what you propose.

leffeboy

buy another cable. It is difficult to believe that the going from 10m to 4m will make any difference, it is more likely that the cable is duff

stumpyjon

You’d be better off making one from scratch, I don’t think shortening that will be very easy.

pk13

How long do you need it and where are you .

globalti
    Free Member

Now she says we need about 6m and we’re in Lancashire.

I can easily cut the cable and shorten it; just wanted to know if it was worth the effort.

jota180
    Free Member

You’d really have to solder the centre and shields to the new plug as it won’t grip it properly or make a good contact without

pk13

It will be rubbish as the inner core on those are so thin. The braiding will disappear as soon as you cut it. If your not in hurry I can post you one.

globalti
    Free Member

That’s a very kind offer; no need though thanks as I’ve just gone on an expedition across the unexplored sea of glass wool in the attic and salvaged a decent length of disused old-style co-ax and some plugs and sorted the TV.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Can I shorten this factory-made coaxial cable?’ is closed to new replies.