Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can I shave 3.5mm off either side of a Shimano hub to make 135×12?
  • Mugboo

Anybody done it?

honourablegeorge

No… but I don’t see why you couldn’t. It should just be the bits of the end caps that normally sit in the frame that are the difference.

Mugboo

That was my thinking.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if you can build wheels…
    http://www.wiggle.com.au/shimano-xt-m756-disc-rear-hub/
    is it not easier just to buy the right version swap it out and keep the rest for spares or do shimano not do a 135×12 option?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

brake rotor would be in the wrong place, potentially

bigyinn
    Free Member

Depending on the frame, are you not able to open it out 3.5mm each side?

honourablegeorge

thestabiliser – Member

brake rotor would be in the wrong place, potentially

No reason it should be, the only difference between 135×12 and 142×12 is the end caps

thestabiliser
    Free Member

thought some were flanged differently? would that only affect the driveside?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Can you not just take 7mm from the middle?

llatsni
    Free Member

Yup you can, the 3.5mm sits “inside” the dropouts on a 142 frame. The disk and cassette are in the same place – relative to the caliper/derailer mount – as 135 spacing.

EDIT: Don’t spread the frame – this would make the relative placement of disk and cassette wrong.

br
    Free Member

Q – Can you?
    A – Sure

Q – Will it work?
    A – Only time will tell…

STATO
    Free Member

Some people seem to be confusing the new 148mm spacing with 142mm.

142mm is just 135 with extra axle to sit in pockets on the frame so its easier to fit the wheel.
    148mm is the same hub bit with 6mm extra width, usually in the middle, so wider flanges and disc mount etc. It uses the same idea as the 142, axle in pockets etc. so if you could get a qr version it would be equivalent to a 141mm qr hub, thankfully, no-one is that stupid… yet.

Mugboo

Thanks chaps, sounds like a plan. It’s a brand new 26″, xt hubbed/xm317 wheel so it’s not exactly worth a lot.

swanny853

If you can buy the same model hub in 135 you might just be able to switch the axle out

Mugboo

google was all a bit inconclusive about axle swapping, taking it bit off either side sounds like a cheap & simple solution to me.

I need to make my Hope Pro2 (non Evo) from 12×135 to 12×142 & the XT hub the other way. Or swap the Flow rim to XT hub and the Mavic rim to the Hope hub.
    But then my wife’s bike will have a clicky hub and mine won’t…

honourablegeorge

TBH, it sounds to me like you need a new bike.

Mugboo

I just bought one, that’s the problem, I need to swap all my current bits on to it and all the new bits onto my old frame.

Anyways, problem solved. My Hope hub just needs different end caps and I’ll get the grinder on the XT hub, cheers folks 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can I shave 3.5mm off either side of a Shimano hub to make 135×12?’ is closed to new replies.