Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can I run standard tyres tubeless on UST rims?
  • tonyd

Couldn’t find anything completely appropriate in a forum search, and given all things tyres are discussed often enough I thought I’d ask!

I have two MTBs, FS already running tubeless on (819) UST rims, and a HT running standard (717) rims for which I am eagerly awaiting delivery of some new UST wheels. I’ll probably keep the old 717s as spares as they won’t fetch much, but I have a garage full of standard tyres with varying amounts of wear. Again, I don’t expect I’d get much for them and if I keep the old wheels as spares I’m not likely to wear them out in a hurry.

So my question is – can I use these standard tyres as tubeless on a UST rim? I expect I’ll need to use some sealant to help reduce the porosity as well as plugging any new holes. If I can avoid having to buy tubeless tyres just yet I will. Has anyone tried this with any success? There are three types of tyre I’m particularly interested in as these are used the most:

Schwalbe Racing Ralph
    Panaracer Trailraker
    Panaracer Cinder

Any input gratefully received as usual.

Ta

neil853
    Free Member

In a word, yes. May be a bit of an effort inflating them with a standard pump and you may need/want a compressor but yes its more than possible.

uplink
    Free Member

The RR definitely

The Panaracers aren’t the best to go tubeless but some people manage them OK

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sv
    PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I couldn’t get my Conti X-King Protections to seal so I’d say no, or it’s certainly not ideal and involves a great deal of faff.

andyeez
    Free Member

I have run standard 2.35 Cinders on 819 rims with no problems using a track pump. Seated the tyres in the rims first using a tube, then removed the tube leaving one side of the tyre seated. Stans sealant applied and inflated… eventually. Now running WTB prowlers in the same way… even easier to seal and cheaper.

tonyd

Thanks for all the replies folks, sounds like I’ll be able to avoid any purchases. Wether that is good or bad is debatable 🙂

sv – thanks for the link, very interesting site.

njee20
    Free Member

IME it’s harder to run non UST tyres tubeless on a UST rim than a normal rim converted.

The well on the UST rim is deep enough that the bead will just retreat down there, ideally you need to get some draught excluder or something to fill the well.

Stan’s or similar are vastly easier though, and even a Stan’s kit on your 717s would be more straight forward.

mrplow
    Free Member

Of course you can. :mrgreen:

Yetiman
    Free Member

Non UST dual ply High Rollers, Schwalbe Big bettys and Schwalbe Fat Alberts all worked on my 819’s with sealant. The High Rollers inflated with a track pump but I needed a compressor for the Schwalbe’s.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can I run standard tyres tubeless on UST rims?’ is closed to new replies.