Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Can I run single ply tires with less then 35 psi?…….
  • moniex
    Free Member

Or will I die or spend the whole alps hols fixing punctures?

I weigh 10 st and am a wuss!

Same for my boys, age 9 and 11 and 5.5 st?

My husband keeps insisting on putting loads of pressure in (40psi ish) but going around Cannock the other week I felt much more confident once I’d let some air out to about 25 psi ish…

Please tell me he is wrong 😉

Simone

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

You’ll be fine. 40psi is overkill if you are relatively light and riding fairly smooth trails. Try 30 psi and see how you go. If you are getting punctures then increase the pressure a small amount until you stopping getting punctures.

bol

Tubeless with plenty of stans you should be fine at 25psi I reckon.

aracer
    Free Member

Not quite sure I understand what single ply is, but I have to assume my Fat Albert is – it’s certainly a lightish trail tyre rather than a DH one. I run ~22psi in that! That’s weighing ~12st on a uni, so a lot more load through the tyre than you (though I’m going a lot slower and not hitting things that hard). You’re not likely to want to run that low – it does get pretty squishy, and I wouldn’t run that little pressure on a bike, but it proves it can be done.

muni riders all tend to use <25psi in a variety of non-DH tyres – single ply High Rollers and Rubber Queens are some of the other popular options.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

35psi is fine

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

at 10 stone 30 psi sounds about right. Light people need softer tyres

spacehopper

im 13 stone and run 30 PSI in all my single ply tyres.. very rarely get punctures..

40 PSI feels like im riding with rock instead of rubber tyres.. 😆

easy way to find out is to try it! if you start getting more punctures or squiggly handling on corners…. put a few more PSI back in 🙂

mrodgers
    Free Member

I’m just over 10 stone, and had no punctures all week in the alps with single ply tyres, 25psi in the front and 30psi in the rear. That was with 2.3″ specialized eskars with light inner tubes.

Trimix
    Free Member

The Alps are steep with rocks randomly scattered about.

Hit one at speed you will pinch even if your light or a wuss. Stick a DH tube in your tyre and run at about 35 psi. Gives you grip, but resists pinches.

Being light or a wuss will not stop you picking up insane speed on rocky steep double track in the Alps. You cannot avoid the speed or the rocks.

I did a week there a while back, ran single ply at 40 psi, I weigh 95kg and rode a Transition Covert. I rode it hard and fast and didnt get any punctures. I was expecting some, but none came.

But whatever advice you ignore/take, just pack a good pump and lots of inner tubes. You will figure it out in a day or two for yourself.

br
    Free Member

Pinch-punctures will show you how low you can’t go, but running tubeless I find 20-25psi about right for me.

For my kids I usually reckon on 30psi with tubes, as its me that has to change them if they puncture 🙂

martinxyz
    Free Member

No probs. 13.5 stone and I can easily run 25psi with 2.5/2.35 maxxis minions.

bones76
    Free Member

Go Tubeless and do away with punctures, run decent tyres with decent tread and you can run a low tyre pressure without any worries, I weigh 12stone and run anywhere from 27psi to 30psi and have not had a puncture in two years and have ridden a good selection of rides around the uk (lakes,peaks,scotland) to over in spain?

You will never look back…

GW
    Free Member

FFS! it’s not just about pinch punctures tho, is it?

run too low pressures and sidewalls fold in turns.

bones76
    Free Member

I would say that could happen, though i never had it happen to me and i ride pretty much flat out everywhere i go and lean well into the corners on berms etc, but as i said i never run any less than 27psi but maybe one day the sidewall will fold, fingers crossed not!!!

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I run rubber queens 2.2 ust and about 14 stone and run front 20 psi rear 30 psi
    I love the grip and way the Suspention feels with soft tyres . Only had a few tyre slighty folding but not burping all the air out and they where bad landings off angle on +2 foot jumps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Can I run single ply tires with less then 35 psi?…….’ is closed to new replies.