• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by snap.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Can i run 32T rear with short cage ? (road bike )
  • snap
    Free Member

HI
    Can i run a 11-32 rear cassette with a shimano ultegra rear mech ( latest version )
    Ive been told i may get ride on issues , just wondering if anyone has tried this
    Thanks in advance

LittleNose
    Free Member

I’ve just put an 11-32 cassette on my road bike and have a long cage… I struggled to get a 11-30 working with the short cage, it fit but shifting wasn’t clean so I changed to long cage at that point

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Officially you can’t but you can get away with it the latest 105 and Ultegra 11 speed setups specify a medium cage for 32T cassettes. However I did this recently with Shimano 105 short cage mech and a 32T cassette (10 speed). It ran fine in the small chainring on the 32T cassette, but was not happy in the big ring so I just had to stay out of that combo.

I did have an issue where the cage got tangled up with the chain somehow and it twisted the cage so had to get a new rear mech – not sure what happened as I was not in the big/big combo so maybe I didn’t spend enough time setting up and fine tuning the setup – maybe my chain length was not right. All a bit of a mystery but most likely something to do with my setup with the 32T cassette. Thankfully a new 105 rear mech is only £24. I had no problems over the next 150 miles of riding or so after I replaced the rear mech before putting my 28T cassette back on.

I’ve given it a go but wouldn’t recommend it, not without spending alot of time fine tuning the set up and chain length and thoroughly testing it. However the box for my new 105 short cage mech says the mech has a max capacity of 30T on a 2×10 setup, so maybe give a 30T cassette a go instead of a 32T cassette?

chrishc777
    Free Member

105 short cage on 11-36 here works perfectly but chain length is critical, a link too short or too long and it won’t work

dovebiker

Shimano specs say yes for GS version

IHN

I’ll be trying it on the Mrs’ bike today, but with a ten speed 105 mech and 10 speed Tiagra cassette. I think it will work, just.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

IHN – it will work but check B-Screw and chain length. I didn’t, I just swapped over the cassette, went up and down the road to check indexing – all seemed fine (apart from Big/Big) and thought I was OK, then I had the issue with the chain and cage entanglement. I suspect I needed to make some adjustments to B-Screw and maybe take a closer look at chain length. I did all this after replacing the mech and it worked much better before going back to my 28T cassette.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Works on my Cotic X with a SRAM rear mech. Short, road, Rival.Asking a bit much for it to deal with a chain set to cope with small/small and big/big but thats bloody stupid anyway.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

it will do it , ran a 32T and short cage 105 mech in wales at the start of the week around the welsh mountains on my crosser

IHN

Quick update; got it sorted, works fine. B screw is all the way in, and it took three lots of shortening the chain link by link to get it just right, but all seems to be working fine. It’ll do big/big reasonably comfortably and small/small just about.

snap
    Free Member

THANKS FOR ALL REPLIES
    I tried it today with some of the recommended fine tuning and it works just fine no issues with ride on at all

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Can i run 32T rear with short cage ? (road bike )’ is closed to new replies.