Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Can I run 10spd rings on 9spd RF Atlas cranks?
  • AndyPaice
    Free Member

need to replace the drive train and have got mostly XT 10spd stuff. Can I keep my 9spd RF Atlas cranks and run something like 22 36 on them with 10 spd chain rings?

also how do you join an XT 10spd chain. can you use a sram power link like 9spd?

cheers

mallorcadave
    Free Member

There is no need to replace the chain rings(unless they are worn) as the internal size of the 10spd chain is the same as a 9spd. The cranks themselves make no difference.

You can buy a 10spd powerlink but sram recommend them as single use so you should replace it every time you remove the chain, the kmc 10spd link is fine for multiple use so I would get one of those.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Cheers, that’s great news. Current set up is way past 1? wear so needs whole lot replacing.

Was considering a new chainset as xt is cheap at the moment and my atlas crane look slightly bent on the spider. But new rings will be cheaper than a whole chainset!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Plenty wear left after 10%

mallorcadave
    Free Member

Agree with cynic-al I’d eyeball your rings closely if they look worn then yes replace if not they should be ok. Oh and there are supposed to be different sized teeth on your chainrings to help shifting! By wear I mean hooking of the teeth.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Park chain checker at 1% has about 2 to 3mm movement in n the chain. Its also starting to ride up on the chainring quite badly. I don’t swap chains so this one has done all winter in the peak around Sheffield. Its worn out. I’m hoping 10 SPD will last as well as 9spd, as its getting expensive to swap a whole drive train now!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Can I run 10spd rings on 9spd RF Atlas cranks?’ is closed to new replies.