Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Can I return a bike?
  • daleftw
    Free Member

Had my bike for about 6/7 months and really not happy with it.

It’s a Genesis Day01 Alfine 11, obviously based around the internally geared rear hub (Which is the problem) – about a month ago it developed a leak whereby it lost most of the internal grease and deposited it all over my garage floor. Took it into the shop who sent it off to Genesis/Madison on a warranty trip. 3 weeks later I get the wheel back with a letter explaining that they had replaced the inner workings and gave everything a service and that it should be sorted. 3 hours later, I had the same puddle of grease on my kitchen floor. Back to the shop.

This time, they decide to replace the whole wheel, which I got on Tuesday of this week.

I’ve just returned from a couple of days touring on it whereby I encountered a number of problems with it – It’s not shifting into certain gears, it’s ghost shifting and slipping every so often in 5th gear. So that will be going back to the shop tomorrow.

Absolutely at my wits end with it. All I want is a bike that works and this one clearly doesn’t.

What’s the craic with returning a bike? I don’t want to use the term ‘fit for purpose’ but it really isn’t.

scotroutes

I just have to ask – have you adjusted the cable since it was all re-fitted? It’s essential to follow the set-up and adjustment routine to keep the two wee yellow markers lined up.

daleftw
    Free Member

Yeah, I lined the yellow dots up and that. I realised straight away the shifting was a bit dodgy so popped into the LBS en route to pick a spare inner up.

Thought the problem might have just been until it bedded itself in or something, but time didn’t help so I changed the inner, bu that made no difference either 🙁

thepodge
    Free Member

The alfine 11 is known to have a problem with leaking oil

shermer75
    Free Member

The alfine 11 is known to have a problem with leaking oil

Really? I never knew about that! I was thinking of getting one. Is this widely known?

scotroutes

FWIW, my Alfine 11 is just fine 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Why don’t you want to use the term fit for purpose? It seems perfectly reasonable in this situation.

psling
    Free Member

I would talk to the shop. They seem to have been understanding and helpful so far, talk to them about your options.

shermer75
    Free Member

I would talk to the shop. They seem to have been understanding and helpful so far, talk to them about your options.

+1

Sounds to me like you’ve had a really, really crappy time of it. It also sounds like you’ve been unlucky enough to have had two separate problems occurring at nearly the same time with the same bit of kit, which would make me feel like the whole situation is bloody hopeless. But from speaking with past experience i can say it is worth persevering with the LBS, and let them sort it out. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

daleftw
    Free Member

Yeah, the shop have been great, gonna pop it in tomorrow. Think they’re getting as pissed off as me as it’s just wasting their time.

daleftw
    Free Member

shermer75 – Member

Really? I never knew about that! I was thinking of getting one. Is this widely known?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/amazing-alfine-or-not

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Can I return a bike?’ is closed to new replies.