Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • can i rent your tool ;) (bb86 content) or DIY advice?
  • back2basics
    Free Member

going to get a new bb86 for my bike, but the tools to fit are look 50quid for just a once in a few years job….

anyone want to rent me theirs – i’ll pay p&p and a fixed charge, and of course if i break it i’ll replace it 🙂

unless anyone got a home DIY alternative?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Studs, nuts and a few washers. Job done.

You could probably make 50 tools for the price of the park one.

I have fitted a press fit BB with a vice and also a g clamp. Bits of wood either side and job done.

Lots of people I know fit with a plastic mallet…. Although I would not recommend this 🙂

doncorleoni
    Free Member

If you really get stuck I can send you some big disc washers, stud and nuts, but not till mid week.

spooky_b329

I use the thread rod and big washers/nuts method.

Nice and steady and easy to correct as soon as it goes in slightly wonky. Use the old BB cups between the new BB and washer as it ensures you press it in using the BB shell and not the bearings.

back2basics
    Free Member

ooooooooooo you guys……………..

i like the idea of using the old ones to press in the new ones, that could work,
    and i can get a G clamp no probs too — bigger washers might be a problem but i’ll hunt around B&Q perhaps 🙂
    thanks!!!!!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Lump of wood with hole drilled in and threaded bar with washers. 1 cup at a time.

spooky_b329

Try screwfix, my washer are square M12 I think. Good bit of 12 or 18mm ply would probably do. If you use the rod to bash out the old ones, double up the nuts on the ends as you’ll burr the threads over.

Grim
    Free Member

I had a major problem getting the old bearing out as the plastic just deformed when I hit it. The removal tool from Superstar is cheap and very effective. I use a headset press with larger washers to press the new one in.

This makes the job easier.

back2basics
    Free Member

bb86 ordered today – will start the diy assembly of install tool this weekend 😀
    thanks everyone!

back2basics
    Free Member

job done,
    amazingly 10 mins,
    old shimano bb with no inner sleeve, popped that out with the back of another hammer and a mallet on each bearing, big tap, out they came,
    enduro ceramic slipped in nicely with amazing amounts of grease.
    big G clamp and wood on one side and metal plate/washer on the other, they slid in nicely,
    comes with outer seals to cover the bearings, put them on, then the crank
    and wooooooooooooooooooooow
    amazeballs – spins so nice, took it out for a ride with a distinct noticeable difference in getting the bike going.

lovely

thanks for all your help everyone!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘can i rent your tool ;) (bb86 content) or DIY advice?’ is closed to new replies.