Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can I remove the coaster brake from my little girls hotrock .
  • rightrightright
    Free Member

My little girl has’nt got used to doing a full peddle rotation and gets half way and try’s to go back which applys the back brake. Can i remove the coaster brake in anyway.

timbur
    Free Member

Not easily from memory.
    My lad had one and it’s a pain.

superfli
    Free Member

leave it on, she’ll get the hang of it. The coaster is a really good brake for the little hands

bunnerscj
    Free Member

+1

My lad got fed up with it but once pedalling is mastered its a god send. Really didnt take long.

fenred
    Free Member

As superfli says, it’s a PITA for them to start with but both my girls and the littlun that inherited the hardrock next door clicked with it eventually…Next mission is getting them used to brake levers 😕

bigblackshed

Both my boys love/d the coaster on the Trek Jet. So much so, I’ve been asked to put one on his Mongoose BMX.

Very 80’s freestyle! But I can’t find a decent one. Only 60’s inspired ones for cruisers or lowriders.

brassneck

No 1 son did a massive skid and ended up on the deck cut to ribbons (was sprinting for the next canal bridge .. I did feel a touch guilty about racing him :-)) – after that he never had any trouble, but it was a harsh lesson. He liked the ability to do massive skids once he had the hang of it.

I think you could swap the wheel out and fit a rear brake, pretty sure they have a hole for the calliper brake? I never thought it was worth the effort though. No 2 son is about to start on the bike soon, I may change my mind!

As to going to brakes – he ‘graduated’ to a 20″ Hotrock, which looks like a real bike shrunk in the wash – no issues at all.

stumpyjon

As above, leave it, the brake lever on the Hotrock is not easy to use for little hands. The coaster brake means they learn to control the bike as well as just ride it.

rightrightright
    Free Member

Ok thanks i will keep trying with her and hope she picks it up soon.

crogthomas
    Free Member

It should be possible to just remove the brake shoes, I’ve done this with a Sturmey Archer hub successfully. It will then behave as a normal hub. But then you’ll have no rear brake…

rightrightright
    Free Member

[/quote]Both my boys love/d the coaster on the Trek Jet. So much so, I’ve been asked to put one on his Mongoose BMX.

Very 80’s freestyle! But I can’t find a decent one. Only 60’s inspired ones for cruisers or lowriders.

will this help?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acs-Freecoaster-Coaster-Brake-Suntour-NOS-Bmx-Old-School-Bmx-/120867358291?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1c24418653

Tango-Man
    Free Member

leave it on, she’ll get the hang of it. The coaster is a really good brake for the little hands

This, took my little girl a while to get used to it but she mastered it and it is a great idea

bigblackshed

I think that is slightly different. Not a brake. More a freewheel that can be disengaged, so when rolling backwards the free hub doesn’t drive the sprocket / chain / crank backwards.

I can remember trying one “back in the day”. Really took some getting used to. All of the 80’s one were basically 60’s ones dressed up.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Can I remove the coaster brake from my little girls hotrock .’ is closed to new replies.