Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Can i put some tubeless gunk into an inner tube?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

To stop thorn punctures on a kids bike?

manton69

Yes, but as the inner tube/thorn/tyre moves again it may well keep letting out air. I think it works better with the slime and rag liquids, but they are harder to get in to the tube, unless you use scrapers and remove the core. Give it a go what have you got to lose?

We use this solution on industrial mowers and the like and pump a load of gunk in to the tubes to get them through the season.

oliverracing

yep, good way to stop 90% of punctures, but I found tubes needed replacing after about 2 refills, as they got heavy/thick, but that’s about 12 months without punctures so not too bad

poly
    Free Member

You can – although the practical challenges of getting the stuff in there mean that pre-filled slime tubes would be my approach.

chip
    Free Member

You can buy a bottle of slime, enough for two mtb inner tubes from halfords normally for £9.99 if you have removable cores.
    But when in my local halfords a week ago they were doing buy one get one free.

Slime lasts 2 years, tubeless splaff 3-9 months.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Didn’t work for me on my commuter with slicks. The Stans few out like a huge fountain and covered everything, me, the bike, my rucksack and the cyclepath. Just bought some different tyres and carry a spare now.

duckers
    Free Member

I’m running some 29er schwalbe 19a’s and other road tubes with fenwicks airtight to good effect so far, its more convenient for patching if I get a puncture that doesnt seal and avoids re-beading hassles of trailside tubeless repairs. Lots of tubes have removable cores and schwalbe presta tubes definitely do.

I check the tyres for debris regularly at home and pull it out, that way if it doesnt seal its easy to fix and eery couple of months I’ll piss the sealant out of the tubes back into the bottle, give it a good mich up and refill them so the selant doesnt dry out completely.

29er Schwalbe 19a’s are @140g each, I think specialized turbo’s are pretty light 26 tubes.

One point, tubes are typically talced internally, and basically the talc dries the sealant in the same way it dries your ass, so wash the tube out with water first and let it dry before filling it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Can i put some tubeless gunk into an inner tube?’ is closed to new replies.