Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Can I put a shed directly on to paving slabs? Do I need anything else?
  • poppa
    Free Member

I know us STWers like our sheds….

I am in the process of speccing one for the garden, and it will be placed on some level paving slabs. My question is, do I need to put anything else between the shed and the paving, and if so what?

Timber bearers seems the obvious choice, but surely these will rot eventually and need replacing, how would you go about that? Otherwise I have seen plastic moulded interlocking bases with holes. Does anyone have experience of those?

Cheers in advance for all help!

project
    Free Member

Treated wooden bearers or plastic fence posts laid across the slabs, to allow air space below shed , also plenty of coats of creote to underside of shed floor before you build it, and dont forget guttering and down pipes to collect all that water that runs off along with a large barrel for storage, went to a shed last year floor totally rotted and shed standing in a puddle of water as no gutters.

Ex shed erector.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh of all the sheds ive removed and re erected over the years – the grounds the bearers seem to be the least rotty bit…..

its usually that bit of the siding round the back between the shed and teh garage that the owner never bothered to paint or the floor ply because the roof leaked….. but the bearers usually even then still in good nick.

allthepies
    Free Member

I have a shed which rests on wooden beams sited directly onto paving slabs. The whole shed area isn’t slabbed, just the parts where the beams sit. I’ve got guttering in place draining into a couple of connected water butts.

Been up over 20 years with no probs.

nbt

My shed sits on bricks. it also has gutters leading to a water barrel

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Try laying a membrane down before putting the bearers down? I’ve used paving slabs as a base and it’s been fine. The shed was in place for a year. It was then moved over the fence when I moved house. The neighbour wanted it. Didn’t see any rot in the floor, and this was an el cheapo floor.

Gone with paving slabs again as the base for the new shed. Seems to be holding up ok.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Can I put a shed directly on to paving slabs? Do I need anything else?’ is closed to new replies.