Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Can I plug my TV in the Virgin box in the wall and get free TV?
  • ads-b
    Free Member

I have Virgin broadband installed. When they installed the broadband they seemed to put all the necessary wires to get the TV in (makes sense really), but didnt connect any of them. Can i just plug all the wires up and get free TV down the same wires (the freeviw ones anayway), or will it all just be encoded nonsense?

uplink
    Free Member

In theory – yes

The cable feed carries beeb 1 & 2 + the itvs etc.

You won't get anything else though
    the frequencies aren't likely to be what you were expecting either

GrahamS

Erm.. so presumably you don't have a Virgin box for your telly?
    So what exactly are you planning to plug into the virgin connection?

And if this is just to get freeview then don't you just get that over-the-air to your normal aerial anyway?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ads-b
    Free Member

Yep, I dont have a box. There is no aerial in the room where the box comes in to. I was hoping i might be able to get the BBC HD channels and the other normal freeview channels as well as 1, 2, ,3 ,4 and 5.

specialone
    Free Member

No you'll need the virgin box to decode the signal

uplink
    Free Member

No you'll need the virgin box to decode the signal

Not the basic 1,2,3,4 5 you won't

I'll stick an analyser on a feed later & let you know what's there in the clear

ads-b
    Free Member

Sounds good. Cheers uplink

xc-steve
    Free Member

The cables surely different to a standard Ariel… how do you intend to actually plug it into your tv?

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it not digital?

tron
    Free Member

I've actually done this. You can bodge a wire from the Virgin cable outlet to your TV's Aerial input. No need for a Virgin box.

When I did it, the standard 5 terrestrial channels were broadcast down it, in clear terrestrial type signal – not digital.

I've no idea why they do it, unless it's a way of providing a signal test?

uplink
    Free Member

The cables surely different to a standard Ariel.

nope, standard[ish] coax with an 'F' connector at the Virgin Media outlet

Is it not digital?

There was still an analogue feed last time I checked

I've no idea why they do it, unless it's a way of providing a signal test?

they're obliged to do so

uplink
    Free Member

UPDATE:

It is all digital now [at least here in the NE] – all that's there now in analogue is a static page proclaiming 'Your Analogue TV Has Come To an End' with a load of VM bumph

The digital carriers are there in the clear so you should be able to plug a Freeview box into it & go from there – try one first though

dobo
    Free Member

so if you plugged the cable into the back of a tv with freeview built in it might pickup the digital channels?

uplink
    Free Member

so if you plugged the cable into the back of a tv with freeview built in it might pickup the digital channels?

Should do – never tried it though

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Can I plug my TV in the Virgin box in the wall and get free TV?’ is closed to new replies.