Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • can I please ask a quick tyre question :)
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I have a orange p7 with a 2.2 mountain king on the back which is tubeless but found it a little hard going at a trail centre today ( cannock chase ) please can you tell me a good tyre for grip and cushioning 🙂 would it make much difference with a bigger volume than 2.2 ? thanks

Richie

drapper
    Free Member

lower the air pressure?

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I have about 30 psi just under maybe go lower ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IanW
    Free Member

Increase the air pressure?

MarkyG82

Increase +1

I used to run that low, couple of years ago I upped the pressure due to an extra dry period for the hardpack. Never run lower than 40 now.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I see never thought of increasing thought a low pressure tyre would cushion more ? what size tyre you running MarkyG82 ?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Richie – what exactly is the problem?

Are you getting bounced about/ too much vibration / not getting grip on climbs etc etc?

BTW MKs come in a range of flavours from free plastic versions given to bike manufacturers to the much better black chilli (“supersonic” and “protection” ones – but these names have changed this year). So what one do you have?

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I’m getting bounced about really and big hits do hurt abit I know its a hardtail never going to be like a full suss but thought I might ask as tyres are expensive these days !! not sure what mountainking it is its quite old now came with a older bike

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Well of course you’ll never be sitting down on a hit:)

Id guess you have the cheap/ free mk’s. They are small for their size. Therefore seem firmer. If you want to buy something then on one have schwalbe rocket rons for £20 and also nobly nics(dont know their price). Both come up a fair bit bigger than mk’s for the same nominal size. Aim for less grip at the back for safety.

RustyMac

Take a look at the maxxis Ardent 2.25 if you are buying a new tyre, I switched from a michilin 2.2 to that and it has a large volume so made a big difference on my hard tale.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

ok cool guys thanks for your help will take a look …I think the tyre is pretty run down TBH and its a cheap one with the bike in 2008 I think …
    thanks again 🙂

MarkyG82

I’m on 2.3 vertical pros. Good size but will probably go 2.1-2.2 next. On a commy meta 5 now but ran a similar setup on my hardtail.

minzo
    Free Member

Maxxis Ardent 2.25 +1

Good rear tire with plenty of volume

rudedog
    Free Member

I’m on 2.3 vertical pros. Good size but will probably go 2.1-2.2 next. On a commy meta 5 now but ran a similar setup on my hardtail.

I thought the conti verticals came up really small for a 2.3 volume wise.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘can I please ask a quick tyre question :)’ is closed to new replies.