Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Can I modify a Fox 36 to have…
  • sharkattack

…the same axle to crown height as a 32 Float?

I have a Stumpjumper Evo which I love, despite a couple of fairly irritating issues. The main problem is the weedy fork that twists and dives everywhere. I want something stiffer with more support but I don’t want to mess up the jommetry.

I was wondering if I could buy a Fox 36 of some kind and reduce the travel to 150mm. And if I did, would the height be the same? I know some of their forks are internally adjustable I’m just not sure which ones and in what way.

Sorry but I am completely out of touch with bike product. What model of 36 should I be looking for? I’ll not be buying new, I’ll be scouring the classifieds.

If I can beef the front end up a bit I might think about a different BB and crankset and keep the bike for a good few years yet. Otherwise I’m getting a YT Wicked.

Thanks

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Axle to crown heights here:

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/2013_CD_user_specs.htm

Even at 150 it would still be 15mm taller.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Yes you can space down 36 Floats its dead simple with a spacer but, they won’t have the same a2c as your 32s as they are slightly longer.

sharkattack

Well I guess that answers my question.

I won’t even get started on the PF30 bottom bracket problems then…

Time to sell up I think.

jairaj

You could just get a fork from a different manufacturer. The Fox 32 chassis is well know to be one of the most twangy designs.

A Rock shock Revelation is much stiffer as are X-fusion or for ultimate awesomeness how about the new Pike?

stevede
    Free Member

These look a good buy http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-revelation-team-150-blackbox-just-serviced-1 nothing to do with me though I might add.

boxxer7
    Free Member

36s would work a treat or even maybe a set of new pikes? Also the BB30 is a PITA but the Evo is a great bike, not sure I would sell up for the YT!

sharkattack

I spotted the half price Revelations on on-one but I’m totally unfamiliar with them. LINK
    They do look the part. No idea about performance, reliability etc.

The new Pikes look very nice but it’s the price that puts me off. Of all bike parts currently available it’s the price of forks that most makes me wince. It’s such a large percentage of the cost of just switching to a new brand new German bike with ultimate dreamy spec.

That’s what I’m telling myself anyway!

boxxer7
    Free Member

Paid £590 for my 150mm Pike which I thought was good considering the RRP.

stevepitch
    Free Member

^ were did you get them from looking at pikes for my new build!

boxxer7
    Free Member

Bikediscount.de

I_Ache
    Free Member

What model pikes are they? I would love pikes on my enduro they would look so good with my black frame.

boxxer7
    Free Member

150mm RCT3 26″

chakaping
    Free Member

The Revelation is no doubt stiffer than a 32 but still flexy if you’re riding rough terrain fast.

The Marz 44 rc3 ti is a cut above IME, even though it has a 15mm axle vs the 20mm on some Revs. Damping is sublime too.

If you spot one secondhand I’d suggest it’s well worth a try.

jairaj

I spotted the half price Revelations on on-one but I’m totally unfamiliar with them. LINK
    They do look the part. No idea about performance, reliability etc.

The XX version is not one that I would recommend. You loose the compression adjust but you gain a hydraulic lockout. Not something that appeals to me.

The Rev is a very good trail fork but if you are ridding very rough stuff it can feel a little bit more twangy. The Marz 44 RC3 Ti is a fantastic fork but can be hard to find these days. The other option would be an X-fusion Slant, has 34mm sanctions so nice and stiff and reviews show it has very good damping too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Can I modify a Fox 36 to have…’ is closed to new replies.