Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Can I mix and match Hope calipers and levers ?
  • I want to upgrade the cable discs on the tandem (yes, we’ve got a tandem).
    I’ve got some ancient Hope M4s, with screw top reservoirs, left over from a downhill bike project that never happened.
    I’ve got some newer Hope Minis from my XC bike, since upgraded.
    I need to fit a longer hose on the back anyway, so is there any reason why I can’t fit the newer levers to the more powerful calipers ?

Can I fit these levers…

…to these calipers ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats an E4 not an M4.

IIRC it will work of sorts but youll end up with alot of lever travel

folks to speak to are hope they know the bore sizes and ratios of each system.

trail_rat
    Free Member

fwiw – id sell both brakes and buy something better – parts for the e4 are non existant now (and have been for some time…. was one of hopes less sucessful brakes)

and the mini wont last long on a tandem

infact – what cable disk is it …. i would stick a bb7 on a tandem no sweat – big disk mind you.

tandems generate a metric **** ™ of heat

Would a BB7 be better than a Mini then ?

I’m just trying to sort out what I can do with what I’ve already got and what I need to buy.
    I’ll buy some modern M4s if that’s what it needs.
    Any recommendations on disc size ?
    I use 180/160 Mini Mono solo and find that plenty of brake at 95kg.
    We’ll be about 150kg on the tandem.
    200/200, 180/180, 200/180, 180/200, or maybe one or two at 225mm ?
    How much brake do we need ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

its not about power on a tandem its about heat disipation.

locking up the rear on a tandem is scary as shit- your rear wants to overtake your front.

my mate has v2 vented on 200mm rotors on his mtb tandem – and turned the rotors blue on our ride up the cairngorms on monday.

you drag the back brake alot more as you pick up speed quick as hell

OK, I’ll give up on the E4s then.
    I’ve done a trial assembly with what I’ve got; Mini No.5 front, Mini No.3 rear, two +20mm IS to IS adapters and two 180mm discs and it looks like it will all work. All I need now is to buy a longer hose for the rear and the olives and inserts.

We don’t plan on going to the Cairngorms just yet. We’ll see how we get on with the hills around here first. I guess any decent modern hydraulic disc will lock up a wheel. Like you say, it’s not ultimate braking power that matters, it’s heat build up on long descents.

It’s got rim brake mountings as well on the rear.
    I’ve got an old set of Magura hydraulic rim brakes which I was planning on using, until I remembered they need dedicated mountings.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I’ve got an old set of Magura hydraulic rim brakes which I was planning on using, until I remembered they need dedicated mountings. “

they dont …. just the correct clamp kit – they just fit to standard V brake mounts ….. Ace brakes – id fit one in a heart beat to a tandem.

used to be the case on dawes tandems you had a cable disk as a drag brake (and even before that you had a drum brake as a drag brake) and a v brake or hydro v brake as the main brake.

Pieface

I have a V2 caliper with 183(?)mm IS to PM adapter going spare if you like, works with the mini lever. If you’re interested I can dig it out and assess its condition. I also have 2 Mini levers (1 in need of re-build) and 2 mono mini calipers (180mm IS front) that I can sell for a small fee, all in need of a re-build although the rear caliper (160mm IS) is OK.

I’d be looking for £70 for the lot as I need it to cover the cost of a replacement brake myself.

I thought I’d heard of adapters to fit Magura rim brakes to a normal frame, but wasn’t sure.

Is this what I need ?
    http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/brake_clamps/magura_evo2_brake_adaptor_kit/c74p10934.html
    I hope so, because it’s a quarter the price of this one.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7833

Pieface, thanks, but I’ll stick with the 180mm Minis for now as I’ve already got everything except the hose.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mtqg – yes thats what you need

The tarty bikes one is te old style 2 piece and the crc one is the new one where clamp and booster is one bit

OK, thanks.
    The two piece one looks stronger as well as being cheaper and having a quick release.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Two piece can be a kerfuffle to get working and tight but still better than a v brake

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Can I mix and match Hope calipers and levers ?’ is closed to new replies.