Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Can I justify Ice tyres…..
  • MoreCashThanDash

OK, so they wouldn’t protect me from the thin black ice that had me off the other day, but they would make commuting on the thicker whiter stuff on the trails and pavements a lot less nervous…..but £80+ quid will need some convincing.

Current arguments for are that:

a) my good lady wife will know I am much safer riding to work so she can worry less – but as she recently saw my death in service benefit statement, she seems not that concerned anyway

b) Ice tyres are cheaper than the excess if I drive in and stack the car!

What else am I missing?

Coleman
    Free Member

Nobody in The Midlands can justify ice tyres. Don’t get sucked into this studded tyre krapp so popular on here at the mo. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They do work on black ice. How long icy conditions will last tho? I have a set on my commuter

MoreCashThanDash

Coleman – remember your tarmac surfing down the A6 that time? I had a little practice at it the other night, and I’m thinking it’s worth at least trying to justify it!

More than half my commute is now covered in compacted snow and ice, so that’s about 50 miles a week. When it was just snow, the Trailrakers were great, but they can’t bite into ice.

enfht
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the “cable tie” method yet?

I’d give it a go but no snow here 😡

Coleman
    Free Member

swadey – My tarmac surfing had beggar all relevance to icy conditions. However, I did fracture my ankle in three places after falling on ice in the Peak 14 years ago.
    Still wouldn’t buy ice tyres though, how can you seriously justify the need in the UK. If any are left in stock, the snow will probably be long gone by the time you get them.
    If your that desperate why not get down to Screwfix, buy a box of 200 screws, and waste as many hours making your own – plenty of tips in other threads.

epicyclo

Studded tyres are for ice, not snow. Absolutely brilliant on black ice. You can ride on stuff that you can’t stand up on.

As for price, they do cost a bit, but they let you ride your bike safely past all the numpties falling off all over the place breaking themselves and their bikes.

MoreCashThanDash

epicyclo – thats more the spirit I was after.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve ordered some. if they allow twenty commutes when you’d normally not ride that’s only 2 quid a trip and they will obviously last longer than that

epicyclo

Mine get about 6 weeks use a year, but that includes 24hours in the StrathPuffer. They don’t seem to wear much if they see only ice use.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teh ones I am using are the ones I got for the puffer last year. I expect they will last for many winters

marka.
    Free Member

Can you still buy them anywhere, though?

pitduck
    Free Member

make some it`s pretty easy 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Can I justify Ice tyres…..’ is closed to new replies.