Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Can i just swap the lowers? 26 – 27.5
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

feels like a stupid question… probably is.
    could i maybe just swap the 26″ lowers on my Sektors for some 27.5″ ones? (assuming i found some cheap)

read an mtbr thread of a guy saying he’s done it, but having studied parts catalogue, none of what he’s saying makes sense, all uppers and lowers have different part numbers etc. (he said lowers are the same)

so ideally i’d find some spares/repairs sektors/revelations cheap enough to take a punt. but chas anyone out there tried it?

i don’t need the trail to come alive, i just want to fit 26+tyres…

jamiesilo
    Free Member

bump up. i know, it say 26 iin the title, no one’s that interested : )

cp

Might be able to get away with it if reducing travel as well but like for like your going to need longer stanchions surely. Even if only slightly longer

jamiesilo
    Free Member

yes, i figure you might not get full extension, due to spring or damper shaft topping out. i’m guessing that’d be the main issue, assuming stanchions are long enough to stay located in lower bushings.

reducing travel a little wouldn’t be a problem. would compensate for additional A-C, and since i upgraded the rebound damper, it’s added 5 or more mm travel.

will100
    Free Member

I’d be very surprised if Rockshox make different length dampers and uppers for different wheel sizes. I haven’t done a lower swap on sectors however I have swapped from 26 inch lowers to 27.5 on a set of Boxxers and it all worked fine.

teethgrinder

I thought some of the RS forks just had the axle part of the lowers slightly extended – certainly looks like it for the 29er lowers that have a massive, long rebound knob.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

teethgrinder, do you mean not the tube, but only the ‘bracket’ part that extends out to take the axle?

will100, i would too. speshly for a lower grade fork like a sector.
    deffy worth a try i think.
    got my eye on some cheapo 27.5 sektors…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Can i just swap the lowers? 26 – 27.5’ is closed to new replies.