• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can I have your carrot cake recipes please?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I LOVE carrot cake but my wife doesn't and daughter (7) didn't until she just tasted a small one bought from M&S.

Now she would like to make carrot cake with me, its like a dream come true, someone else in the house I can share carrot cake with.

Please share your wonderful recipes with me.

organic355
    Free Member

The Pret one in this book is awesome, got pineapple in it and always come out great:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/22Pret-Manger-22-Jane-Lunzer-Gifford/dp/1921208910

Sorry, cant be arsed to type it in for you though!!

oh and the book isnt that expensive else where either!!!!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

oh and the book isnt that expensive else where either!!!!

I should hope so too £75 plus P&P FFS! 😯

namastebuzz
    Free Member

THIS one on joyofbaking.com works well. It's a great site too.

Carrot cake is quite variable according to personal taste. As the recipe points out you can add stuff like pineapple to make it more moist. I'll add banana for a similar effect.

You can play about with ingredients and cooking times 'til you hit on the perfect recipe.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Vic, you should have come to us first! 😉

White Room cake recipes

Seriously awesome carrot cake. Got me through 3 months stuck in a back brace and has been on the chalet menu since day 1 and I'm still not sick of it!

hoykalot
    Free Member

First time making carrot cake with your kids doesn,t come any easier
    than with betty crockers carrot cake and vanilla icing from asda. It is easy
    to make and tastes excellent with the icing

cxi
    Free Member

These are lush, my good lady has made them a few times:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/470640/carrot-and-cream-cheese-cupcakes

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Thanks everyone,

The White Room Carrot Cake is going to get it, having tasted it already, I know it's lovely.

I feel sorry for those on week 6 as apparently we ate their "carrot cake ration" as well as our own.

Cheers Stevo. I didn't know that recipe was up there. The cake page only is accessible through the winter side of the site.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yeah, I need to do a summer version as well – need to get Abi to contribute her Victoria Sponge!

billybob
    Free Member

walk into Sainsbury's pick up one of these:

Snuffle.

teagirl
    Free Member

Carrot and pineapple cake.

8fl oz sunflower oil
    10oz soft brown sugar
    1tsp vanilla essence
    4 eggs
    5oz plain flour
    5oz wholemeal flour
    2tsp bicarb of soda
    2tsp cinnamon
    8oz carrots, grated
    1 x 432g tin unsweetened crushed pineapple with juice reserved
    4oz sultanas

oven temp 180 c
    grease 9 x 13ins tin

put oil, sugar, essence and eggs into large mixing bowl, break eggs with fork.
    Sift in both flours, bicarb and cinnamon. (tip in any bran left)
    Stir up 'til smooth, then beat to a batter.
    Mix in carrot, pineapple and sultanas.
    Pour into tin, level out.
    Bake 45 mins -1 hour then cool in pan.

Ice either with 6oz icing sugar + 1-2 tbls pineapple juice

or beat together
    2oz butter,
    7oz cream cheese

then add 1 1/2oz icing sugar and grated rind of 2 oranges.

It's a cracking recipe!

paule
    Free Member

Slight tweak, but these carrot and orange muffins are excellent:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5225/orange-and-carrot-muffins

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Well I made the white room cake recipe and it was pretty good I'll admit.

Then I made it with the same ingredients but added some mashed banana and instead of baking it in one pan I put it into two 9" Springform tins and cooked for 50 mins each.

Then I made four times as much frosting as the original amount and sandwiched the two cakes together then covered the sides and top.

I'd say it was an improvement – the cake was more moist with the banana and you couldn't really taste it.

🙂

stevomcd
    Free Member

Then I made four times as much frosting as the original amount and sandwiched the two cakes together then covered the sides and top.

Dude, you must have had a serious sugar-rush headache!

Nice idea, maybe we'll try it sometime!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Dude, you must have had a serious sugar-rush headache!

Ha Ha! NOt really just you seem to need a ton of the stuff to cover top, middle and sides. I used a smaller ratio of icing sugar and a lot more cream cheese and omitted the cornflour. Beating it well still made it nice and thick. JUst added a few squirts of lemon juice to add some tart-ness.

Trying it again today with two bananas and sultanas added to see how it goes.

I can see that your recipe is better for the purpose for which you use it as it's less time consuming to make and assemble so I'm not improving on that just varying it to see what I can come up with.

(You can see why most of my mates like to go riding somewhere near my house then come round for coffee and cake after?)

z1ppy

Yep I made the White rooms one too, and used two tins, as I didn't think our largest tin would be big enough, sweet! Will try adding banana's too, as that sounds great, not so sure about the all over icing though.

(crap iphone piccy)

If you want a sugar rush take a look at this… bloody hell the icing was mad, only made it as we had 6 egg yolks to get rid of from a meringue

http://www.joyofbaking.com/YellowButterCake.html

DezB
    Free Member

I hope nobody else was tempted by Billybob's recommendation. Just bought one from Sainsbury's. Not only is it tiny, but it has to be the most flavourless, boring cake I've ever eaten. 😥

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can I have your carrot cake recipes please?’ is closed to new replies.